Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
Join Date: Feb 2007
Submit Photo: 35
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 16 Posts
I am glad to read everyone is doing alright. Actually.....I work for a vet and we have had several cases of this come in. There is little "chocolate" in milk chocolate. So our perception of chocolate is different. The substance in chocolate that is highly dangerous to a dog is theobromine. Theobromine is naturally found in the cocoa bean and is a stimulant. This is what is dangerous to a dog. Many products we buy and consume have little "theobromine" in them. For example...hershey's chocolate bar,dove chocolate,regular chocolate chips. Always read the bag of course,but the most toxic form of chocolate in our houses is generally bakers chocolate (that nasty tasting bitter chocolate). The best chocolate for a dog is NONE, but generally speaking the common form we eat gives us heart attacks as owners if a dog eats it,but the dog will be fine because of the low content of true chocolate in it containing the stimulant.
"Behind every unstable dog is a lesson for the owner"-Cesar Millan