Yes, my Daughter's Maltese/poodle mix chewed a piece of her sugar free gum with it in it while she was at work. Luckily, she came home soon after and discovered her starting to have seizures.. She rushed her to the emergency vet. After a couple days and $1000 of vet bills she recovered. She went to 3 different vets during the few days and one was adament it wasn't the gum and she must have something neurological wrong. Needless to say to say she didn't return to that vet again. Especially since the gum was chewed up in the floor when she walked into her apt and then the dog started the seizures right after. Also, there happened to be a vet tech living across the hall that helped her take her to er vet and so she was really lucky. So I guess it's a new thing that we are just starting to see and realize it is happening. This happened about 3 yrs ago. At the time when my daughter got on and googled about it she found lots of info about it so hopefully the word is getting out there.