First, the boys seem to be just fine. But please keep them, especially Jasper (I think) in your thoughts for another 24 hours. But I wanted to remind everyone how dangerous the alternative sweetner Xylitol is for dogs. especially small dogs.
Last night I was about to take a probiotic lozenge that I had put in my pocket. Got ready to take it, and realized there was a hole in my pocket and no pill. I was a little slow as I had already taken something to help me sleep, but I did put two and two together when I saw Jasper intent on something on the stairs (not a usual place of interest, especially at bed time) But I didn't actually see him eat it.
Luckily I remembered that this supplement had xylitol in it and I knew that xylitol was bad for dogs... but I didn't know how bad! After a quick search and then a call to the emergency vet... and then aspca poison control... we made both boys throw up with a teaspoon and 1/2 of 3% hydrogen peroxide. We did Cash too, since he is usually the vacuum cleaner in the house and we had no proof... and we couldn't find the pill anywhere. Both boys were acting just fine, interested in both food and water, and were alert.
But poison control, took this extremely seriously it takes just a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of xylitol to critically effect the blood glucose of dogs... and if left untreated it can cause seizures, and liver failure. This article sums it up nicely, except poison control feels you are not out of the woods for 24 to 36 hours.
Oddly for me and my DH, we did not run to the emergency vet as we really didn't know if either of them had eaten it...and it would have been 2 of everything... 2 sets of tests, 2 sets of overnight observation, 2 emergency bills, so since we had not proof of consumption, and we had made them throw up, we decided to watch them closely, and give them small meals every three hours as instructed through the night to keep their glucose levels stable. But everyone we spoke to, both last night and today took the consumption of a pill the size of an asprin very seriously.
Both boys are still doing fine. and loving their extra small meals. but please keep them in your thoughts.
And keep in eye out for Xylitol in foods and gum and supplements around your house.
here is the number for ASPCA poison control. they charge $65 per phone call. but in my opinion it is worth it.