My puppy barks at night - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 72
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
My puppy barks at night

It has gotten to a point where my mom is crying because she can't get enough sleep. What do I do in this situation? He wakes us up by barking, then jumps on the couch and bites her! When I put him on my bed, he starts biting me! ( we are so stressed out. Why is he so hyper? I thought havanese were apartment dogs!
roxie2519 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 9,587
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 46 Posts
my guess is that you've trained him to bark. I can give you some articles, but if it is as bad as you say, I would recommend a trainer, before things get out of hand. Does this sound like an option.?

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Linda
 
HavaneseSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 5,409
Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
A tired dog is a good dog, wear him out during the early evening. he might have to go potty when barking at night.



Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"

Last edited by HavaneseSoon; 02-18-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling
HavaneseSoon is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,845
Submit Photo: 21
Photo Submissions 40 Times in 40 Posts
How old is your puppy? And where does it go potty? Mine wake me up to go out sometimes.

Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 72
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
He is 5 months old and he goes potty on the pad. He barks when he needs to get down from my bed and go potty, but he also barks for no reason...
roxie2519 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 9,587
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie2519 View Post
He is 5 months old and he goes potty on the pad. He barks when he needs to get down from my bed and go potty, but he also barks for no reason...
there's always a reason, sometimes it's just to see your reaction. lol smart ehh?

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 353
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie2519 View Post
He is 5 months old and he goes potty on the pad. He barks when he needs to get down from my bed and go potty, but he also barks for no reason...
Well, to solve the barking to get down from your bed, I suggest you invest in pet stairs and possibly a night light to help him see. There's always some reason your pup barks - attention being one of them. A trainer, like Dave said, can help you identify his reasons as they are much more skilled in recognizing dog's signals.
marlowe'sgirl is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 72
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
there's always a reason, sometimes it's just to see your reaction. lol smart ehh?
roxie2519 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 72
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowe'sgirl View Post
Well, to solve the barking to get down from your bed, I suggest you invest in pet stairs and possibly a night light to help him see. There's always some reason your pup barks - attention being one of them. A trainer, like Dave said, can help you identify his reasons as they are much more skilled in recognizing dog's signals.
Wish I had the time and money. Maybe when he grows up he will stop the non sense
roxie2519 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 9,587
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie2519 View Post
Wish I had the time and money. Maybe when he grows up he will stop the non sense
Maybe. maybe not. If you cant invest the time or the money, maybe you shouldn't have a dog.

Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome