Havanese Forum banner

My baby is arriving Thursday!

7K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  Grindstone50 
#1 ·
OMG!!! I have relied on this forum (mostly as a snooper) but several breeders here have been beyond valuable to me in their generosity of advice and help This is such a great forum!

So my baby 9 1/2 week old (1 day shy of 10 weeks) will be arriving THursday and I'm both excited and petrified. ALthough I have been looking for the right puppy/breeder for over 6 months, I'm a bit scared of how much work it will be now that it is here. Has anyone else had this?

Also to complicate things, my husband fell skiing 2 weeks ago and needed surgery and is now rather immobile on crutches so it's like having two new babies at once!

Anyways i just wanted to share, be grateful and also ask one specific question, did anyone use those soft pop up playpens for their havanese? Did they destroy it? I thought it might be good for opening up quickly to keep the dog with me when I cook dinner instead of moving the whole big expen there. We have kids so I want to keep her safe and contained when I am not with her in the beginning.

Thanks so much!

#59 ·
Hi everyone. Morning report is that things went better last night. Jas slept from 11pm - 3:30 (yahoo) but then was up again at 5:45. She pottied but kept on whining. I finally put her downstairs in her expen and when I woke up at 7am there was a poop. She still won't poop outside with me on leash so I figured that might have been going on. She did at least poop on her pad so that's progress!

Right now she is sleeping happily in her crate without whining for the first time since she arrived and it wasn't night so that feels like progress in and of itself.

Any advice on encouraging her to poop on leash is welcome though!

#65 ·
My Camellia is simply SLOW to poop on-leash. I often found that I need to walk my dogs some before they can poop. Our yard is so small that there's no particular walking-room in it, so I take Camellia out to walk along the roadside - on-leash, of COURSE! Eventually, if she needed to poop, she poops! But she's a LOT older than Jasmine! She's over five now. (She came to me at age 3.5, as a private rescue, from Bev Dorma's fellow-breeder, Gail Dame - of Seantiago Havanese - and Bev helped me get in touch with Gail!)

Hope you got over the worst of your cold and are feeling better. You WILL be busy for quite some time!

I agree with your idea of progress. Good work! Looking forward to more reports from you. Hehe, when you have time!

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:15:59 (PDT)

#61 ·
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Ha, but seriously you will begin to notice her cues and when you should take her out about when she should poo. I know a good time is after she eats. I took Timmy to the same spot in the beginning, where I wanted him to go and told him to "go potty." They eventually do go and then you have to have a Potty Party, I mean serious rewards and praise, my neighbors thought I was nuts! My family used to say "Timmy pee pee for chicken" since his initial rewards were boiled chicken breast. Timmy is now about 5 months old and I can totally read his cues, he's an open book. I know that might sound impossible to you now but be observant and consistent it pays off big time!

#63 ·
It also seems like a lot of our puppies spin around and around and around before they go. If you see her doing this you might have time to pick her up and take her outside. I ended up keeping Timmy's harness on most of the time so I could get his leash on and be outside quickly if I could catch him. He will pee inside on his pad most of the time, but he prefers to do both his businesses outside if he can. Don't forget we're still waiting for pictures!!!

#64 ·
Ok I am a horrible iphone photographer and too tired to attempt more but here is a cute photo of Jas where you can see how adorable she is. I tried to take others but she's always moving so they are just a blur!

One quick question: Jas is doing well either on her potty pad or outside peeing during the day but at night even though I take away water/food by 6-7pm, and we don't go to bed until 11ish (so last pee around 10:30), she's often up between 12:30-1:30 again which is killer. I take her out and she does pee but then she often whines when I try to put her back into her crate. Or goes to sleep and wakes up within 1-2 hours again. I feel like this is crazy.

lately when she wakes up a lot I have just put her downstairs in her expen and gone to bed and she actually seems happier there than in the room with me. I think she likes her bed more than her crate. Any thoughts? Is this normal? Should I just sleep her downstairs for the meanwhile?

THanks!

Attachments

#66 ·
Love your pictures, even the blurry one!

If Jasmine likes her bed better than her crate, I'd let her sleep there, without worrying about it. In my general experience (by no means always necessarily true), females have what looks to us like independent streaks, no matter how dependent they really are - and among those might be having a preference for sleeping apart from us overnight. Camellia does that, too. She'll start on Our Bed, and sometime between 20 and 30 minutes, she'll go back out and sleep on the sofa.

Males, on the other hand, again, in my general experience, have a tendency to be Mama's Boys - which can include staying in bed with me at night!

Looking forward to more photos, when you can get them!

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:29:39 (PDT)

#67 ·
We had this problem with Shelby just now. She was supposed to sleep in the crate, because of her surgery, but would have no part of it. So we put her in an ex-pen with her bed, and she was very happy and settled down immediately.

#68 ·
Riley is 9 months old and he used to sleep in our room with us. He woke me up every night between 2 and 4:30 to pee. Sometimes twice. Then about 2 weeks ago he developed diarrhea when I changed his food and he had to spend 2 nights in the kitchen with the wee wee pads. Now he stays there every night. I need that uninterrupted sleep and he goes the whole night without complaint (or peeing). I do miss his little face looking at me when I go to sleep, but this just seems to work better for both of us. Jas is cute!

#69 ·
Thanks for the reassurance guys! I appreciate knowing I'm not the only one whose dog seems to be happier sleeping apart!

I have heard about females being more independent In general Jas is super attached to me and pretty cuddly but I guess she draws the lines at sleeping! :biggrin1:

#71 ·
To those of you who posted the 2 weeks to get into a groove thing - I very much appreciate it. We're at 1 week and 2 days and already things are much easier. Jas had two nights where she only woke up once (yahoo) and we just took her to Tahoe via car and she was an excellent travelling. She was suspicious of the snow to begin with but a pro by the time we left so that was super cute as well. My BIL took some cute photos of her so I'm trying to get them from him to post. Thank you all once again for the support!

#72 ·
Jas is adorable! Can't wait to see your BIL's photos!

Some dogs like privacy for their poops! Our Abby is one of them and will try to wait until she can go out without McGee to do her business. It sounds like Jasmine is doing really well on her potty training.

#73 ·
I'd say stick with whatever works for you and her and try to keep to a routine. I'm finding that as soon as we break with routine, there are accidents in the house. Jinx is starting to tell us when he needs to go outside, which is wonderful!

Jas is adorable. Love the coloring.

#74 ·
Ok as requested - finally a few more photos!. She's a doll although I'm still stymied by nighttimes. She does great one night and won't go back to sleep after waking to pee another night. Also the poops are only "near" the pad and almost never outside. ARg. Otherwise - we couldn't ask for a better puppy!

And you are right. it is definitely getting easier!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.