Havanese Forum banner

Introduce yourself part 3!

118K views 668 replies 166 participants last post by  Lalla 
#1 ·
Seems there are so many new members! Decided to start a new introduce yourself thread. Please post pictures!

Hi,
I am Linda. I live outside of Philadelphia. I have 3 wonderful havanese.

Bella almost 8 years old. The smallest full grown Hav I have ever met. She thinks she's a cat.

Fred almost 7 yrs old. I should have named him trouble or grump. He is the grumpiest havanese I have ever met. He is like the canine version of Archie Bunker. Just look how mean he looks:). He wouldn't hurt a fly though.

Scudder almost 6 years old. He is the most easy going, mild manner dog. I call him the mayor!

Attachments

See less See more
#254 ·
Hi, my baby, Lucy, is 6 months old now. I got her in November and I am madly in love! I have really been enjoying reading different threads as I am new to Havanese. Lucy is shaved because since getting her, we have moved into a new house with a sticker problem. Her Velcro hair will have to stay short until we can get rid of them��. I loved her hair and can't wait to grow it back out but I have found short hair has benefits! I can actually see her squatting in time to catch her (potty training bonus!)
Lucy is a shy little dog and we are working on getting her to be more social. This has not been easy, she is so sensitive. Hoping to get lots of advise on that and training tips!
Thanks for having this forum!

#263 ·
Welcome to the forum! My Ozzie is very sensitive....touch and sound. He can't stand the clicker and I was intent on clicker training. My new trainer is teaching me how to train him without the clicker so all is turning out well! I would recommend a trainer who understands shy and sensitive dogs and doesn't try to push them beyond their comfort level, that can cause them to regress. Ozzie is doing much better and I'm sure Lucy will do great too! They are so worth everything we invest in them!!!

#256 ·
Researching

Hi,
I'm a 42 yo in the DFW "North Texas" area. My reasons for joining the forum is to learn more about the breed, since I'm currently researching dog ownership and various breeds(Havanese, Coton de Tulear, Poodle, and Maltese) that I think may be a good fit for our household. I realize that dog parenting/ownership is not something to take lightly, as it is bringing a and trusting life into your care. So, I want to take my time and learn as much as possible beforehand. Plus, I just looking at the pics of all the wonderful Havanese are just fun to look at and bring a smile to my face.

#257 ·
#259 ·
To download a picture,. ... click "post reply"
type in a comment
scroll down and click "manage attachments"
click on "browse"
go to your pictures
open desired folder
click on specific picture
click "open""
click "upload
wait for a minute or so (depending on size of picture)
when uploading message disapears close window
click "submit message"
voila, should be there.

#261 ·
Thank you

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the welcome and dog ownership links. I am going to read them directly after posting this. It's interesting that one of the articles is on puppy or adult, because I'm interested in bringing a young adult dog into our lives. That way we will know more about his/her temperament and won't have to go through the puppy stage, which I have read in articles and heard from my sister is a pretty challenging. My sister has a 12 lb Pomeranian, who is such a sweet and submissive little dog. She really took the time and effort to train her well.

#262 · (Edited)
you're welcome, take your time. I have lots of info once you decide lol.

#269 ·
Welcome he's beautiful., yep , we pride ourselves on helping out new Hav owners. :)

#270 ·
hello,

My husband and I are the proud parents of a Flower Power, a 9 month old Havanese, in addition to two cats named Pooh Bear (AKA "Pooh) and George Fox (AKA "Georgie"). We got Flower as a 5.5 month old, and she has brought so much joy into our lives. The picture is from her puppy kindergarten graduation.

Attachments

#272 ·
welcome, what a good looking bunch. Don't be shy. Thanks

#276 · (Edited)
welcome , what a cutie. Never yell at your dog. It will only make things worse. Is this your first dog? Nipping is very normal for pups, here's some remedies. http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3249

#277 ·
He is my first dog. I read alot of books but still not quite sure what to do. He only bites our family but not our friends/strangers. He also throws tantrums. My friend said it might be cause we're feeding him chicken with puppy food that makes him aggressive, not sure how true this is :( I'll try your suggestion and stop with the yelling let's see how it goes. He seems to only do this once/twice a day.

#278 ·
#279 ·
Welcome Emi & Teemo! Please look for other threads about puppy biting. We've all been through it.
To be be brief, replace your hand, arm, leg, etc with something she can bite -- ignore her (meaning, move away from her and don't show her any attention, turn your back, etc). What I found most helpful -- when Beau wouldn't stop, I'd just pick him up, say "no", and put him in his crate. He would settle down in a few minutes. Sometimes he'd fall right to sleep. Other times, he'd get real quiet. [At first I'd leave him the crate 20 to 30 minutes and ignore him. After a while, he'd only need a few minutes of "time out."] Then, I'd take him out of the crate and hold him for a bit -- to reinforce the better behavior. Don't yell, it just makes them more excitable. It IS a phase -- but help her to get through it learning something!

#281 ·
Welcome Emi and Teemo! He's a beautiful pup! Any one of these little guys can have their "moments." It helps me to remember that, unlike people, it's never a hidden agenda or ulterior motives with the dog and to stay focused on all the things the puppy is doing that are wonderful. The articles Dave posted were really helpful to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.