Havanese Forum banner

Hair growth progress

92K views 442 replies 69 participants last post by  Laurmann2000 
#1 · (Edited)
I shaved down Louis completely on May 12, 2012. His body was done with a #7 (3.2mm or 1/8"). His face was done with a #10 reverse, ears with a #10 with the grain.

I will take pictures of him weekly to track his hair growth.
Here is what we started with:

Attachments

See less See more
#322 ·
Week 48

Louis got into something... I suspect he laid down in an antpile or got bit by something. I noticed last night his eyes were swollen. He is extremely itchy and has been scratching himself like a maniac. I've been giving him Benadryl to ease the allergic reaction. The eye swelling is gone but he continues to scratch. It's been a nightmare on his hair because he is causing crazy mats and he's ripping the hair out!! I hope this does not last too long because I'm not sure how much of this I can take (I'm sure he's going nuts too!)! I gave him a medicated bath today and put some cortisone on his skin that looked redder. If he continues to scratch, I will take him to the vet.

On another note, I dyed my poodle for a pet event and he was a huge hit! I did not dye Louis. I wanted him to look natural to balance out the color!

Attachments

#323 ·
Lol with the poodle. You actually did an amazing job. You certainly have a lot of talent and patience, not to mention the patience your poodle has. I just keep looking at him. Such creativity. Thanks for giving us a peek.
BTW, Louis looks great too. I'm so sorry that he suffering with the itches and hope he gets the help he needs.

#324 ·
WOW! I LOVE what you did with your poodle!

Poor Louis, it really sounds like he might be a lot more comfortable if you could get him a shot of steroids. Poor thing!!! :(

#326 ·
I took Louis to the vet yesterday for a steroid shot and oral pills. The shot worked immediately, no more scratching! The mats he was forming in his hair were crazy. He thought he looked better as a corded Hav! What's funny is my vet had a picture of my poodle not knowing that was my poodle LOL. Someone had snapped a photo of him when we ran errands. He has the paparazzi after him!

#330 ·
OMG WOW how long does that last? To be honest when I first "met" you I thought you were nuts (SORRY! for dying your dogs, not mean just nuts) Now that I "know" you I'm quite intrigued,and can appreciate the talent. AND what do you have in mind for our darling Louis? Love those pics of them together very sweet dogs you have!

#331 ·
The dying took a couple of hours. Mainly for the color application because it was a large surface area. The dye is completely safe and is semi-permanent. It will fade over time, probably lasting 4-6 weeks. The more the hair gets wet (like the feet) or the more often the dog is bathed, the color will fade faster. I did the grooming on one day, and the color the next day. I love color, but I don't like it when it starts fading! It makes me want to shave the hair. When I colored Louis, it was right before I was going to shave him anyway. Because I'm growing his hair out, I have not dyed Louis in a long time. I like the chalk hair color for his tail because it only lasts a couple of days and washes out with water.

I have gotten some comments from people who are concerned the dye is harmful... my poodle is completely fine and healthy. It's strange that Louis, the one that isn't dyed, is having skin problems! I am also have allergic reactions but I think it's from stress. No one else in my family (poodle, cats, husband) are having reactions. Maybe me and Louis are just too close and we take on each others ailments haha. The vet was not sure what Louis got into, but the steroid shot worked and he is fine now. During the whole time his activity level, drinking, eating, and bowel movements were completely normal.

I'm still not sure what I want to do with Louis's hair in May!

#332 ·
Week 49

Here is Louis "au natural" - he looks so cute with his hair down! No bath in these pics. I haven't had time to give him one! I really need to, he's been Mr. Poopypants with diarrhea again. One of his poops was so bad, I had to hose his butt down.

I love the pic with him in the glasses. When I put them on, he actually looked around like "OMG, You're THIS blind?" lol! He looked around in the glasses just like a person.

Attachments

#334 ·
Love the glasses. Makes him look like the little professor. Boy, you can do anything with these Havs. Although you do pretty good with your poodle too. Patience is a virtue that you and your dogs certainly have. Love Louis in his full coat. Will he stay that way?

#337 ·
He looks awesome in this length! I am finding I only have to brush and comb out about 3 times a week, depending how active he is.

I have done the hose dowm on the butt too. Guess it really depends on how clean you want your house. They bring everything in from thr outside. Tempted to have a brush on the outside to get the excess grass, sticks, leaves off prior to coming inside the house.

#338 ·
What a fantastic thread! I have two havies (three and a half years old) that were clipped short two weeks ago for the last time. So, with comb outs twice a day (and fingers crossed) only 50 weeks to go! Can't wait! Thanks for the encouragement. Great job!

Chloe, Cinderella and Christmas Eve's Mom

#343 ·
Week 50

Sorry for the delay!

Here is Louis before and after his bath. I included a pic of him to show what he looks like after he's rubbed his head into the couch.

I shaved the body on my poodle. I was getting tired of people stalking me when I'm trying to walk my dogs. People would creep in their cars really slow next to me or they'd drive by, stop, reverse and stare. I welcome the attention for events, but when I'm just trying to do my thing and be inconspicuous, it makes it hard to be normal with a tiger poodle haha. Plus, I have groomer's ADD and cannot look at one hairstyle for long. I'm not quite sure how I made it this long growing Louis's hair out. My poodle's head shape is in between styles right now so it looks odd. I am growing a goatee and plan on putting him into an Airedale trim. I saved his legs because I have one more event to take him to and plan on dying him again.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.