Havanese Forum banner

Pet Cam

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Beach Guy 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

While I love that Max is a velcro dog like so many here on the forum, I have always wondered what he does when we go out ......

Do any of you have a pet cam that you can see what your babies get up to when you aren't home - something easy to use / set up that you can view on comp or phone wirelessly?

Thanks

Jemma

#2 ·
I don't because my wife is home all day. I have been curious when we do leave for a few hours, but Molly never has shown any reason to worry about. ie. no separation anxiety ,chewing or housetraining issues. A number of trainers in our organization will use them for helping clients. It is a very valuable tool for getting to the heart of certain issues.

#4 · (Edited)
ahhh Linda, the boys couldn't be boys, if they knew you were spying on them. :party:

#5 ·
I basically worry about Dexter. He is my heart dog and I can picture him sitting in the chair looking out the window until we come home. I like techy stuff. It is free, what is there to lose. Keep my computer on....how hard is that? I was just wondering....

Does anyone have a Web cam to use on their fur babies?

#6 ·
When we first brought our Hav home I set up my iPad to record her in her crate as we progressed in that training. We were concerned because we live in a condo and wanted to make sure she didn't have separation issues that would have caused problems with our neighbours. There was no "live feed" and I had to watch the footage after i came home. I am sure it would be quite entertaining to watch a Hav occupy them self while you are out, it would also likely make me speed less on my way home to see her as I would have been able to at least see her before getting home 😄

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
Hi Jemma,
I have a Macbook and iPhone and use iCam. I'm not sure if this is just a Mac thing or not. You have to load the app on your phone and the software on your computer. It works great except you need a Wifi connection not 3G or 4G. Most restaurants and places I've been to seem to have Wifi so it worked when I needed it to. Now that Timmy is older I don't feel the need to be spying on him as much though.

#9 ·
My friend uses her Mac to watch her Miniature Schnauzer when she's not at home. One night Emmie and Riley were left home together while we went to the theatre. We checked the webcam periodically on her iPhone and our puppies spent the evening running around and playing. It was pretty adorable. :party:

#12 ·
Linda - which link did you download?
Jenny - we have a Mac in our home office but that isn't the room that Max is in when we go out - will that work ? Or does the computer need to be in the same room ?

Max is good at not chewing and barking non stop - I would just like to check in on him every now and then when we are out to see how he is getting on !

Thanks again everyone

Jemma

#13 ·
My Webcam Broadcaster is the one I downloaded. First, I had to download the one to the computer. Then, I had to go to the App Section on my tablet and download "My Webcam Broadcaster." You have to register on the computer for your Web name and password, there are a lot of names in the list, so if you want your name near the top choose the letter "A" or special character. I did have to pay $5.00 for the application.

#16 ·
I would love to set up a camera on Bama when we are out to dinner or running errands. But I'm not sure how much excitement there would be since she is in the crate when alone.
In our old place she had a gated off area in the kitchen that we would let her hang out in if we were going to be back in a half hour or so. But then she learned how to get over (we assume over) the baby gate.

#18 ·
Mine is wireless, get one of your tecy friends to set one up. Oh! I use a laptop with a camera built in, so I can put my computer anywhere to shoot the cam. Once I got a Laptop, I never went back to the old desktop computer.

#23 ·
I just use the webcam on my labtop and set it to record and then watch it when i get home. I never thought of watching from my iphone. I record every now and then just to make sure there is no separation anxiety. Gemma just sleeps in her crate. Ruby sleeps on the sofa and every couple hours goes on "patrol" around the house and then goes back to the sofa.

When Ruby (my high energy labradoodle) was a puppy i used the webcam when i had a dog walker. I suspected her walks were shorter than i we arranged because the dog was so hyper in the evenings (we agreed to a 45 minute walk and i was paying for her to come for an hour). Well, when i came home and watched the video i discovered she was was at my home for only 15 minutes, let the dog outside and spent the rest of the time sitting on my sofa reading a magazine, then put the dog back in the crate and left. She didn't even walk the dog! no wonder she was so hyper! I used the video to fire her and make sure that she lost her other "dog walking clients" that i knew about.

#27 · (Edited)
My Boys

Actually got to use the Pet Cam. I will have to adjust where I put my computer, there is too much light coming in from the front window.

But, they both sat on the chair looking out the window the entire time. Dexter sat on the inner part of the chair, so most of the time I could not see Dexter. I did happen to get this one picture of Dexter, most of the time, Jack was standing up looking out the window with his feet on the table.

You can take pictures (mine is set once every 5 minutes). There is an archive of the pictures on your computer and you can decide which one you want to save....readjust brightness (which I did, because my pictures were too dark). I did some other adjustments so the picture probably does not look clear as it should. It was fun. Now, I have to find the other picture where Jack is standing up on the table looking outside. I found it! On the second picture, I adjusted brightness and a little of the shadows, the second picture looks better.

Attachments

#28 ·
I use a Dropcam, and I'm very pleased with it. It takes about 5 minutes to unpack it and set it up. The video quality is pretty good, and it has night vision too. It also has a microphone/speaker. I can hear what's going on, and I can speak into the iPhone app and my voice comes out of the camera. Since this is our first puppy, we were extremely nervous...I just wanted to be able to check on the little guy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.