Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeast Iowa
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
So glad you acted promptly, and that Murphy is doing well!!! Back in the early 90's, when my children were little, we had a yorkie, a sheltie, a cocker and a husky. The kids used to push the kitchen chair up to the counter and watch me, help me, and chat while I was cooking.
After one of these days when they had the chair to the counter, we had gone uptown for one reason or another. When we got back, we discovered the cocker, Priscilla, had gotten on the chair, up onto the counter, and had gotten into a bag of chocolate chips that were on the counter and had eaten the whole bag. She threw up and had diarrhia for a couple days, then was back to normal. She was about a month pregnant at the time. She had 4 beautiful pups and all seemed normal for awhile, but as time passed, she got skinnier and skinnier. At first we blamed it on nursing the pups, until it got to the point it wasn't normal skinny anymore. We took her to the vet, and discovered her organs were shutting down.
Apparently the chocolate had done damage to her organs and they just continued to deteriate. We put her to sleep when the pups were 5 weeks old. It was a devastating time for me. I was glad to be able to keep one of her pups and have my Cilla live on in her baby, Haley! My lesson was harsh!
Stacey, Yogi (Gerty), and Baby Boo