Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sammamish, WA
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, we had quite the Christmas evening last night. My husband left his full stocking on the ottoman in the living room. After dinner we were down in the family room and Murphy went upstairs and did not come back. I went up to investigate and there he was happily eating a dark chocolate candy bar with nuts! He ate almost 2 oz worth so we immediately took him to the animal ER hospital which is 10 minutes away. Murphy did not even have time to feel ill. They made him vomit, gave him the charcoal, fluids and medicine. They said he was borderline on whether he needed to stay and get the IV and monitoring. The Dr. said he would probably be fine going home, but had to go through the list of things that could go wrong. This freaked my daughter out even more than she already was. We decided it would be less stressful for Murphy to bring him home. He seems to be doing fine. He just was up about every hour all night long going out to pee and drink water. This is what the vet wanted him to do, so he is showing no signs of toxicity.
I am not sure if Murphy even knows something was wrong. He was his happy self at the vet and at home. I, on the other hand, had a few gray hairs added!
The reason we went straight to the ER (called them first) rather than inducing vomiting ourselves was that Murphy ate 2 oz of dark chocolate which is close to the lethal level for a dog his size. We were close enough to the vet to have them do it and then they could examine what came out to determine how much was left in his system. Luckily his dinner had left his system so they only found chocolate and nuts.
Keep your chocolate up high and out of reach of dogs!!