Dog killed by coyote - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Senior Member
 
sandypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,545
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 17 Posts
Good point, Karen, but as Linda mentioned, I also switched to the Martingale collar as I had Bailey slip out of his collar when we were in Holliston and he was frightened by a boy riding toward us on a bicycle.
At this point I have no worries with Tyler, as he doesn't hear!


Mary (miss you, Bailey-1996-2011 and Tyler-1997-2015)
sandypaws is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 18,419
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 134 Times in 134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
Good point, Karen, but as Linda mentioned, I also switched to the Martingale collar as I had Bailey slip out of his collar when we were in Holliston and he was frightened by a boy riding toward us on a bicycle.
At this point I have no worries with Tyler, as he doesn't hear!
Ha! Hadn't thought about that!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RL1X3, RL2X3, RL3X2...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash CGC)






krandall is offline  
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Caroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 127
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm so sorry to hear that- how terrible. I don't have a problem with them here, but used to live on the border of a National Park, and they were all over. I had big dogs then, and they never came close to the house. But we used to hear them yipping at night.... chilling sound.
Caroline is offline  
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 371
Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
how sad. My mom has coyotes where she lives and I never,despite my mom always saying she'll be fine, let maya off the leash when I am at her house.
wynne is offline  
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 18,419
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 134 Times in 134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that- how terrible. I don't have a problem with them here, but used to live on the border of a National Park, and they were all over. I had big dogs then, and they never came close to the house. But we used to hear them yipping at night.... chilling sound.
Our neighbors had a HUGE GSD for many years, and as long as he was alive (even though he was a TOTAL pussy cat) the coyotes stayed away. It didn't take long after he died before they sarted coming closer. The neighbor's other dogs, Springer Spaniels, seem to be no deterrent at all.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RL1X3, RL2X3, RL3X2...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash CGC)






krandall is offline  
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Laurief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,794
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 28 Times in 20 Posts
Ronit, was this close to you??? Make sure you watch those precious boys outside!

Lily, Lexi ,Logan, Laila & Lizzie's Mom
www.HillsboroughHavanese.com
(Gigi, Lucas, Dugan, Madeline,Reo,Alvin, Lucky, Lukey, Punch, Colby & Ben-(we will always Love you!!)
Laurief is offline  
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and have had several recent close calls with coyotes.
Just a few days ago, I had my 2 dogs out for their morning walk at about 8AM, my 8 month old Hav puppy and 2 year old Shi Poo. I turned around and saw a coyote running down the street towards us, probably 50 yards away. I realized there was another coyote following him. I knew we were in trouble, so I quickly ran the dogs to the front door of a neighbor, while luckily the coyotes made a turn and crossed the street cutting through another neighbor's back yard.

Just a week prior to this, I let the dogs out in our fenced in yard, at lunch time. I quickly grabbed a jacket and followed them. Both dogs were at the back fence barking like crazy. I ran out there, only to find a coyote on the other side of the fence. I started yelling and it just stayed there. I grabbed both pups and sprinted in, and the coyote just stood and watched me.

These coyotes are not afraid of people unfortunately. I am thankful for some ideas presented here. An airhorn would definitely come in handy. Might scare my dogs like crazy, but could save their lives. It is pretty sad I am afraid to take my dogs out for walks in the middle of the day.
nkl811 is offline  
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Senior Member
 
TilliesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
wow, so scary!!! do what ever you have to to keep yourself and your pups safe!!

Tammy and Tillie
TilliesMom is offline  
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Member
 
My2Havs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA area
Posts: 94
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkl811 View Post
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and have had several recent close calls with coyotes.
Just a few days ago, I had my 2 dogs out for their morning walk at about 8AM, my 8 month old Hav puppy and 2 year old Shi Poo. I turned around and saw a coyote running down the street towards us, probably 50 yards away. I realized there was another coyote following him. I knew we were in trouble, so I quickly ran the dogs to the front door of a neighbor, while luckily the coyotes made a turn and crossed the street cutting through another neighbor's back yard.

Just a week prior to this, I let the dogs out in our fenced in yard, at lunch time. I quickly grabbed a jacket and followed them. Both dogs were at the back fence barking like crazy. I ran out there, only to find a coyote on the other side of the fence. I started yelling and it just stayed there. I grabbed both pups and sprinted in, and the coyote just stood and watched me.

These coyotes are not afraid of people unfortunately. I am thankful for some ideas presented here. An airhorn would definitely come in handy. Might scare my dogs like crazy, but could save their lives. It is pretty sad I am afraid to take my dogs out for walks in the middle of the day.
About 5-6 years ago I used to run into loose dogs while walking my two and knew I needed something just in case. I found this spray to repel dogs and fortunately never had to use it but I felt better having it. I believe the one I had was the Guard Dog brand but here's some others I found on Amazon. Hope this helps!








Monica, Dooley & Roxie
My2Havs is offline  
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Senior Member
 
sandypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,545
Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 17 Posts
Dog killed by coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkl811 View Post
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and have had several recent close calls with coyotes.
Just a few days ago, I had my 2 dogs out for their morning walk at about 8AM, my 8 month old Hav puppy and 2 year old Shi Poo. I turned around and saw a coyote running down the street towards us, probably 50 yards away. I realized there was another coyote following him. I knew we were in trouble, so I quickly ran the dogs to the front door of a neighbor, while luckily the coyotes made a turn and crossed the street cutting through another neighbor's back yard.

Just a week prior to this, I let the dogs out in our fenced in yard, at lunch time. I quickly grabbed a jacket and followed them. Both dogs were at the back fence barking like crazy. I ran out there, only to find a coyote on the other side of the fence. I started yelling and it just stayed there. I grabbed both pups and sprinted in, and the coyote just stood and watched me.



These coyotes are not afraid of people unfortunately. I am thankful for some ideas presented here. An airhorn would definitely come in handy. Might scare my dogs like crazy, but could save their lives. It is pretty sad I am afraid to take my dogs out for walks in the middle of the day.
Wow, you've had some pretty close calls. I would be very nervous in those situations, especially when the coyotes are so brazen as to follow you and hang around your fenced-in yard. I've used the air horn a couple of times in the past 7 years and my dogs, although aware of it, didn't freak out. I realize, though, that not all dogs react the same. Stay vigilant and I hope you never have another close encounter. As you said, it's pretty bad when you can't enjoy a daytime walk with your "kids".


Mary (miss you, Bailey-1996-2011 and Tyler-1997-2015)
sandypaws is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome