Havanese Forum banner

Decisions, Decisions. leaning on choosing one of these pups

11K views 150 replies 51 participants last post by  Atticus 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought i would wait up to a year to get another dog, but I feel it might be best for me to move sooner. I contacted the Havanese breeder where I got Tucker and she has pups on the ground that are ready to go home in a few weeks. The girls are already claimed but I wanted a boy anyways. Here are some pics and a link to a video i hope will work.

The two boys are Cannon with white paws and Harley is the golden.

Cannon

Harley

Link to video of them playing.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/1366506.mov

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I cant decide. I posted the same pics and video on my facebook wall and it seems like many of the women are saying go with Harley the Golden. Some think Cannon looks too much like Tucker. I dont know what they are seeing. Tucker was a white and black parti color.

My criteria is that i want a notorious licker, smart and sh!t stirrer. Cannon sure looked like a sh!t stirrer in that video she sent. The link for that video should work now.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/886/1366506.mov

Also, if i opt to wait beyond this litter, she would have another litter with pups available sometime in August. Well, I cover college football for a living and that's when football practice starts. I dont want to be having to worry about potty training in August and September during my peak time of year.

The past few days i have found that just looking at the pups and videos has helped break some of my grief. The thought of an upcoming puppy.

#6 ·
I can't watch the video, either, but that could be because I am at work and the firewall is blocking it. At first you were thinking you wanted to wait a while after Tucker had passed, but it seems to me that getting a new puppy is just what you need to make you happy again. That does not take away from your love for Tucker in the least! In terms of which to choose, I love the coloring on both of them, but lean slightly toward the golden as it is so unusual. Of course temperament, and how you feel with them, is most important (aside from health, I mean), but it seems to me that you can't go wrong. I am so excited for you! :)

#7 ·
Mike - I am sure either will be just what you need .... getting one so soon does not nor will it ever diminish how you felt for Tucker - in fact it is a testament to how you adored him that you want to offer that same amount of love to another dog.

I am sure he is looking down and he will guide you as to who he thinks will suit you best!

Good luck and post more pictures once you have made your choice.....personally I love the coloring of Cannon :)

Jemma and Max

#10 · (Edited)
Okay since they are both so cute here is my thoughts. Don't get hooked on a color- we all know our Havie's change color from time to time. Go with the most socialized baby. Since I don't know the breeder just make sure both parents have been health tested and you know the results, has she Baer tested the litter and all are okay. I have both a female & a male and see no difference in the way they give out affection. Good luck with which ever one you decide on or better yet get both-remember Havie's are like potato chips you can't have just one.

#14 ·
Can you possibly visit the breeder and meet the pups and let the pup choose you? Before we met our first Hav, Augie, I was sure I wanted a little girl - people had told me these disgusting stories of boys lifting their legs and marking the house, etc. But when we visited the breeder, it was the little black and tan boy that I was drawn to. I love that little boy so much that when it was time to choose a second, we again went with a boy. My Finn fits your criteria exactly. He has been a handful from the get-go. But I also think he is going to end up being the most loving of my two. Also, the breeder should be able to help you select the one with the personality you are looking for.

#19 ·
Mike,

I'm sure no matter which little guy you choose you'll be thrilled. I do love Cannon's coloring, although that could change as he grows. Our Cappy was very black with distinct white and tan markings that my husband loved (and called his "trim" LOL), but he's now showing gray throughout and I couldn't love him any more if he turned purple :)

#27 ·
Love the coloring on Cannon. I just bet the golden one will lighten up a lot. So glad you are looking for a new baby. Time will heal your broken heart, but in the mean time, let a new little pup consume your mind, time, and body with happiness and laughter.

#28 ·
If you are looking for energy, go with the spunkier pup. I haven't seen the vid but it sounds like that's the one with the dark mask, and I love those markings. Colors can change a lot and a lot of pups that start out like the gold end up being barely off-white. The more important thing is to get the right temperament. If you really love a dog you won't care what color he is.

#29 ·
I can see why they named him Cannon he is a ball of fire ! Harley is more laid back. I think Harley will lighten up a bunch and Cannon will keep some of his unusual markings. Even tho I love Cannons coloring I think Id go for the laid back Harley. I guess it depends on if you are a calm person or someone who loves to be on the go! LOL

#31 ·
Since everyone is voting . . . I'd go with Cannon -- or both. While you're covering football, they can cheer you on and keep each other company!
BTW, when I got Beau, it was little over 6 weeks after I lost my precious Bess -- my 15 year old Sheltie. I was so heartbroken that all I could think about was getting a new love -- not to replace her, but to fill my heart and push aside the unbelievable grief. I'll always love Bess. At the same time, Beau is so incredibly dear to me that I can now remember Bess with only love -- and not about the pain of her last year with me.
Soooo -- go for it!! Have a wonderful time with the new puppy -- and know that Tucker will always be with you, too!!!

#32 ·
Love Cannon's coloring, but as others have said he may change alot (as might Harley). Temperment is the most important anyway. Good for you - when you love your pets it is so hard to be without them. The new baby will help fill the void and give you something to focus on and help mitigate the grief some. Good luck and please keep us posted... Sounds like you're in for some fun times ahead!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.