Havanese Forum banner

Idea that worked for our puppy's trip home and adjustment

993 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  krandall 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share with those who are expecting to bring a puppy home in the near future the great success we had with a toy called "snuggle puppy."

The snuggle puppy has a velcro opening and an internal space that holds a battery-powered heart beat and handwarmers. The overall effect is very life like. I ordered our snuggle pup in a color that matched our puppy's littermates. I took it with us when we picked her up and rubbed it on her mom and her brothers so it had the familiar smell of home. She slept on top of it during our 3 hour car ride from PA to DC. She had no ride anxiety. Snuggle goes in her crate at night time (she has slept through the night from the very beginning) and is her most consistent play toy.

In the beginning I changed the batteries and handwarmers regularly, so it had that comforting life-like effect. I don't do that anymore and she loves snuggle pup as much as ever.

Who knows how our transition would have gone without Snuggles.... I can only say that with Snuggles her move to her new home was very comfortable.

#5 ·
I ordered from Amazon after shopping around. Julie wrestles with the toy as if it were a sibling. She drags him around the house and knows him by name. When she gets out of her crate in the morning, I ask her "where is Snuggles," and she crawls into the crate to pull him out. It's adorable. Her toy is the Bichon model, all white. When she's sleeping on top of it, I can hardly tell where the toy stops and she begins. (FYI - I found the heartbeat batteries lasted longer than people said in their reviews. I ordered a box of 40 handwarmers.)

#7 ·
Just be careful to take it away at the FIRST sign of chewing. With both batteries and handwarmer chemicals in there, there is a lot that could be deadly if the puppy got through the covering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.