Havanese Forum banner

Worried about Spaying

920 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Gabs 
#1 · (Edited)
Nina is 7 months. I originally wanted to have her spayed but the more I learn about it the more I worry. I would like to get Nina spayed but worry about possible complications and spay incontinence. You think there is less risk of spay incontinence with a laprorospic surgery, since the uterus is left, or does it not matter since that seems to have more to do with low estrogen? She is already not the best with holding it. Anyone not spaying or neutering but not planning on breeding their hav. either?do they have birth controll for dogs? I remember my mother in law giving her cats birth contoll pills everyday.This was in Europe. Do they have that here for dogs?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
We always have our girls spayed once they are retired from breeding. We have them here up to ages 14 and almost 16. We've never had any problem with incontinence. We did have a farm dog once who did, but she got the shot, and that ended it. I can't think of any case with a Havanese that I've heard of spay incontinence. They really have very little problem with the spay. The hard part is keeping one inactive for a couple of days after.

#3 ·
No problems here - she did have pain for the 1st couple of days (needed pain meds, laid in her bed for most of the day) but by day 3 she very quickly started to act like her normal self (wanting to run, play etc). She healed very well, no problems at all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.