Havanese Forum banner

thinking of keeping a pup

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  marlowe'sgirl 
#1 ·
My 2 year old hav had pups 5 weeks ago, I am thinking of keeping one of the females. I would love to hear any feedback or experiences. I have only ever had one dog before. Will having her mom around make it easier to train the puppy?

#2 ·
I think everyone on this forum whose dog's have pups are breeders who have a lot experience (first owning/showing dogs before breeding) then do a lot of health testing, and plan their litters very carefully. The rest of us mostly purchased our Havs from these reputable breeders with spay/neuter contracts or adopted from a rescue that has a spay/neuter policy. So it's unlikely anyone's been in your position, from what I gather in your post (only having 1 dog before). That said, many people do bring second Havs into their households and mileage varies as for ease or compounded chaos. There are definitely a few threads that touch on this.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks, I should have mentioned that I have a contract for my dog with the breeder, so this pup will be the breeders pick, and will also be one they will want to breed in the future. Just thought I'd see how other people find having a mother and her pup toghetherr. It has been years since I have raised a puppy. My dog was already a year old when I got her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.