Havanese Forum banner

Grain-free soft training treats

5K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  motherslittlehelper 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting some different training treats for my pup as I've read that soft treats work better as instant positive reinforcement because they are quicker to eat.

I usually give Freddie small bits of dried beef liver. I'm trying to keep him on a grain-free diet (he eats raw), but I've been looking into soft treats and there don't seem to be many (or any) that are grain-free. I'm also keeping him away from dairy.

Any leads?

Thanks,

-Kat

#2 ·
Ziwi Peaks makes lamb jerky that is 100% lamb, and quite soft. It is easy to tear into tiny bits.

That said, the easiest best source of soft training treats is your refrigerator. Lean beef or pork, chicken, ham, cheese... Just dice up whatever you have on hand and use that.

Lots of people use string cheese because it is easy to tear into little pieces as you use it, and is conveniently packaged. I buy a pork loin every few weeks, roast that, we have a meal off it, then I dice the rest and freeze the pieces in snack-sized bags. You can do this with any meat that you roast.

#10 ·
No a problem. Buy thick-sliced deli meat (or butt ends). Or simply buy a few boneless pork loin chops, stew beef or chicken breast and cook it for him.

All are cheaper and better for him than commercial treats, and if you are already feeding raw, surely you don't have a problem handling meat for him...

And cheese... except for vegans, most of the vegetarians I know are not adverse to cheese. (also better for him than most commercial treats)

#5 ·
cheap cuts of liver/pork/beer or even chicken breast. cook in on the BBQ or in the oven on a cookie sheet. Slice it up in tiny pieces and store it in the freezer. It's cheaper than commercial treats and healthier. I cook the liver on the BBQ so the smell doens't come in my house; if you're a vegetarian you might like that.

#7 · (Edited)
you can give home cooked at any age, but if you're doing it with other dog food ,commercial, you should keep it to no more than fifteen percent of their daily calories. Best option is 100 per cent home cooked, formulated on a specifically designed diet.

#8 ·
I poach chicken breast (bring to boil then reduce to simmer) for 15/20/25 mins for sm/med/lg cuts, then cut into raisin-size pieces. I measure a handful per ziplock bag and freeze whatever I'm not using. A large chicken breast can last a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
That's a great option. But you will find, if you are serious about training, that you need a variety of DIFFERENT treat foods to keep up their enthusiasm.

#9 ·
we just finished up adavanced obedience and went through a fair amount of "treats" everyone was very intrigued when I pulled out my bag of treats ... lol Tillie has a ton of food allergies. Typically I give her the ziwi peak lamb jerkey, chopped red bell pepper (her FAVORITE), string or cheddar cheese, ground beef (super messy though), I also have some dehydrated salmon I use occasionally. :D although she would do ANYTHING for the 'pupperoni' the trainer uses ... lol

#12 ·
I love your choices for training treats, Tammy. I wouldn't let anyone feed Kodi Pupperoni for ANY reason. Have you read the ingredients?!?! If you can't pronounce it, your dog probably shouldn't be eating it. (same goes for us humans!:))

#13 ·
:nono:Tammy, ... Pupperoni, ???

#14 ·
Just ordered the ZiwiPeak Lamb Jerky at your recommendation, Tillie's Mom :) though I'm a little fearful about giving jerky to Raider until he's a tad older in case it's a choking hazard, I know Isabella will live it.

Raider starts puppy K training on Tuesday . . .the ground beef might be good bet for him. Are you just browning it?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#17 ·
Ziwi Peaks is nothing like typical chicken or beef jerky. You can EASILY break it into TINY bits with your fingers (even to crumbles). So there is really no choking hazard, even fora young puppy.

Boiled chicken would be easier to handle for training treats than ground beef, unless your dog has a chicken allergy. (which is why Tammy uses the geound beef for Tillie)

#22 ·
For awhile I took chicken breasts and dehydrated it it my oven it was more like a jurkey but was a bit crumbly. Mine love love love Zukes very berry grain free treats I brake them in half a they share one. I'm trying to teach them to sit nice for a picture. :) Now I have to put them on tables and Maddie jumped of a really high table last week I felt bad.:brick:

#25 ·
I think ALL the commercial training treats are too big for our guys (even as adults) without some "customization". Even the little round ones like "Tricky Trainers" I break in half.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.