Havanese Forum banner

Bobby's in the ER!

10K views 77 replies 44 participants last post by  Blue_Persuasion 
#1 ·
I'm so scared, I can hardly type.

Bobby, who just turned a year old on 10/29, is in the ER right now, and we don't know what's wrong. Right now, the vet at the animal hospital has three ideas in mind: lepto, liver shunts, or he injested a toxin.

Bobby has been perfectly and completely fine for the whole time we've had him. The biggest problem we've had is that he eats his hair off which has been bothersome, and I've been doing all I can to try to figure out what is going on.

But today, he fell really ill, and he's now in the hospital for at least 24 to 36 hours. Seems around 5:00, he was laying on my husband while they were on the couch, and he started retching. My husband scooped him up and ran him over to the sink thinking he was throwing up another furball like in the past. He threw up some bile-like substance and then started screaming like he was in pain. My husband then returned with him to the couch and was comforting him, and he said the dog was breathing kind of shallowly and making some small noises. Then he felt Bob's stomach tensing up and realized after a few moments that the dog had pooped while laying in his arms.

He then took him outside to go finish going to the bathroom; and when he did, he said Bob collapsed and was lethargic. I got an alarming phone call as i was leaving work, telling me he was heading to emergency.

Bobby just got fixed on 10/29, and thankfully I had them run bloodwork so we had some baseline numbers. His liver enzymes at that time were at 43, and tonight they were at 1,500. Additionally, his clotting agent numbers are low, and they had to inject him with vitamin K. They said that a preliminary look at his x-rays show a small liver for the size dog he is. The more I keep reading, the more I wonder if it's liver shunts, though he doesn't have many of the symptoms that I've read, AND it came on so quickly. The vet said something about oftentimes, after they've been under anesthesia, a shunt will reveal itself (I think that's what she said).

Right now we don't know anything, and I'm beside myself with worry. I don't know what's worse -- not knowing what's wrong, or looking at the possibilities. I'm trying to read through some of y'all's other experiences, but I still don't know what to think. The earliest I may know something is tomorrow after 10:00. I'm so very scared. :'(

See less See more
#2 ·
First quit reading the internet! It will scare you...there are many other things and if it is a liver shunt it depends on where it is some can be operated on and corrected. We have people on the forum who have had dogs who have had a shunt, had surgery and are fine. Vitamin K is also given for poison and the liver is elevated...there are so many things.

I am very sorry you are going through this...your poor baby and you! I hope the vet is able to get this under control. I have been to the Vet too many times thinking my pet was not going to be with me anymore, only to have them bounce back. Thinking of you. Hugs

#4 ·
Thank you both. You're right, Magpie, I do need to quit reading. I don't know what's scarier -- not knowing what's wrong, or believing you found what it might be and it sounding scary as all hell. He has been, by far, the sweetest addition to our family and is SUCH a happy little boy, that the thought of him being so sick is very scary to me.

The other thing that has me freaked is, after hearing all the blah blah blah from the vet that was swimming around in my head, I asked her flat out if I needed to be scared. She said, "Well, you should be worried as this is very serious."

These are the same vets that brought my Maltese with congestive heart failure back from the brink of death (if only for a while), so I'm going on faith that they can help Bobby.

#21 ·
Hugs and woofs , Dave and Molly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.