Havanese Forum banner

Doggie daycare warning:Havanese was terrified by larger dog and ran into traffic

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  The Laughing Magpie 
#1 ·
#3 ·
From the story, it's difficult to know if the pet owner hired a doggie daycare or a pet walking service. I've never heard of a doggie daycare that left the facility premises with pets and certainly wouldn't want my dogs leaving, regardless. I'd also be interested to know who supplied the dog restraints, the owner or the company? A dog breaking lose from its leash, regardless of circumstances is inexcusable . . .and in a high traffic area is just tragic.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#4 ·
I take Oreo to a small dog daycare out in the burbs but one side of the daycare is facing busy traffic and is 75 feet from the main road. They actually walk the dogs one by one around the block so that they can do their business. The small dog daycare supplies their own leashes.

#5 ·
it's sad, and too bad. b/c my little guy grew up wiht 100+ lb dogs, he is unphased when he meets a golden retriever or lab. I think he thinks he's big. you know in his own mind. but yeah, so important to socialize when they are pups and vary the dogs they socialize with.

#6 ·
right on Jacqueline.

#7 ·
Without knowing all of the details, it's hard to know who to "blame", i.e. if there was negligence on the part of the daycare, or if the owner bought an inadequate leash and collar setup. Either way, it is a tragedy all around. I am even more disturbed by some of the comments to the original article, and all I an think is, "they've never had a Havanese". People were saying that they thought this woman was ridiculous for claiming that she had PTSD, that a dog is just a dog and she can just go to the pound and get another one. I don't even want to think about how traumatized I would be if this happened to my dog. Even so, I think there are many good doggie daycares that do their utmost to be sure the dogs are safe and well cared for, and I hope that this story does not discourage people from using them.
-- Eileen

#8 ·
on the other side of the coin, lots of big dogs don't know how to interact and play with small dogs.

a neighbor has two friendly lab girls, smallish, 45 lbs each. they didn't know what to make of my ollie. he didn't bark at them and didn't run away. one of the girls would nudge Ollie in the hindquarters or midsection, I think to see what he'd do. He'd just look back at her like, "what?"

5 big neighborhood dogs walk together twice a week. big doby, greater swissy, newfy... can't remember all of them. so ollie was like 6-8 months old, and they all wanted to meet him (the humans), he came out, and all 5 big dogs, surrounded him. Ollie obliged and stood still, even lifted his leg so they could smell his junk. about 3 minutes of one way sniffing. ollie had enough, put his leg down and growled quietly at them, to back off...

the doby promptly, fell into a deep play bow.

#9 ·
good stuff Jacqueline. :)

#10 ·
There are a number of cases here in the US also, only in some states can a owner get money for emotional loss, most only alllow a $ value based on original cost - numer of years on earth. All of these cases need to be watched carefully. There are many people that think a replacement cost based on age is enough...the older the dog the less value. Of course if it is your dog...you feel very different.

If I give my antique rug to a cleaner and they ruin it or lose it through carelessness I get full value based on other rugs same age....not so with dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.