Havanese Forum banner

Pet Insurance

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Jennifer29 
#1 ·
Is it worth it? Indy is young enough that it's still affordable, but does anyone have any experience with it? If so, what companies?

:pop2:

#2 ·
We looked into it . . .but, at least for my husband and me, the benefits would need to be very high and premiums low to be worthwhile. Veterinary charges are fairly low in my area. The ones we looked at, when added up over a 12 month period, far exceeded what we could reasonably expect to pay, barring catastrophic needs. Aside from that, with the co-pay and various charges that wouldn't be covered, just made it obvious, at least in our minds, insurance companies aren't missions . . .but there to make money. Nothing wrong with that, but I can find better uses for mine and take my chances :D

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#3 ·
Even though I had a bad experience with pet insurance and dropped them, I do think it's a good idea if you get right away. You want to buy it before the pup develops any health issues. I had Pet Plan for 1 year. When they refused to pay a claim, I dropped them. By the time I got the pet insurance my guys all had pre-exiting conditions. My Bella had liver surgery, fred has patella surgery and Scuds had eye surgery. Surgery can be several thousand dollars. If that's something you can't afford, pet insurance is a good idea because you have to pay in full for surgeries. They don't have payment plans.....

#4 ·
I have ASPCA pet insurance. They are not the best, but they pay very quickly. Shelby had to have patella surgery - cost was $2700.00. I got back about $1700.00. However, any plan out there will not cover a 2nd patella surgery. It is considered a pre-existing condition.

You really need to research and compare each one, side-by-side. Then choose which one is right for you. If you can put aside money to cover catastrophic vet costs, then you might want to do that.

#5 ·
our vet recommended pet's best insurance. we got the middle range plan with the added healthy maintenance package...not sure what it's called, but it includes spay/neuter, shots, etc.

We haven't submitted claims yet. I have them filled out. The claims forms do ask for vet's notes, although it's not necessary for fixing and shots. I need to get on that, because it was I think over 400 to get Bama fixed.

My inlaws have had so many health problems (and expenses) with their dogs that we didn't hesitate one bit.

Pre-existing stuff isn't covered, and since we didn't get it before her first vet appointment (day after we got her), all her early issues probably won't be covered (giarrdia, cough/cold which led to decreased appetite-had to hand feed her). But since then, her shots, getting fixed, and the ear injury we should get reimbursed for.

#6 · (Edited)
I haven't looked into it yet or thought about it. We have always had really healthy dogs, eventhough their breeds were known to have issues golden retriever and sharpei. Are Havanese prone to medical issues and if so what type? lfung5, three Havanese and all had to have surgery? That scares me a little. I thought for a toy breed they were less prone to health issues. It was one of the plus points for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.