Havanese Forum banner

Puppy teeth

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Beanie 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! Lola is going to be five months tomorrow, wow does time fly! She's been teething like crazy this past month but still has not lost any puppy teeth. At what age did your pups start loosing teeth? I read somewhere that the vet can extract them when they get fixed but I really don't want that to have to happen (how painful!). Also, I am getting super anxious/nervous for when she gets spayed. She's still so little (between 4-5pounds) that I'd like to hold off but I definitely do not want her to go into heat. Any thoughts?

Also, just an update on her sleeping schedule as a follow-up from one of my old posts...Lola is finally sleeping though the night! Woke me up at 6:45 this morning-good girl!!

Here are some updated pictures from last night!! (bath for me, even though she tries to hop in :) )

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Try playing tug a war maybe the teeth just need some extra help. I didn't really notice when the sisters lost their teeth I only found one tooth. Maddie had to have two teeth removed because the adult one were coming in before the two baby one feel out.
Zoey came into heat early for a Havanese I think she was only 6 or seven mo old. It doesn't hurt to have one heat then wait 3 mo to spay. I have found that the sisters clean themselves and hardly notice any bleeding. But if you notice double up of baby teeth and adult teeth you want to have them extracted. And then spaying at the same time is a good idea. Be sure to have the vet do blood work.

#4 ·
I got Brody neutered at 7 months so that his teething would be over and the vet could remove any retained baby teeth at the same time (I don't believe he had any). So, basically he was finished by 7 months. I only ever came across 2 teeth and once in a while there'd be a little blood on his tug toy, but definitely not a lot. I think the most noticeable time for him was around 6 months.

#7 ·
Lola is darling. If she is like my 6 month old Zippity it should start happening soon and being a later start seemed to go quicker. I rarely find baby teeth. I hold off getting puppies rabies shot until they are around 6 months old. I went this weekend to get Zippity and Nicky's shot and specifically made it with my vet (not one he employes) as he's great at tooth removal. Nick had 2 and Zip 4 retained teeth. He was able to get them out with his fingernail. I had one several years ago that he had to get the "tooth puller". None of these caused screaming or crying at all. Only my first had to be anesthesized to have a tooth pulled and it was way in back. One time I forgot to make the appointment specifically with my vet and the vet I say insisted they would have to be anesthesized. I told (not asked) her to get Jim. He came in and in seconds flicked out the teeth.

#8 ·
Bama had an adorable toothy-gap smile for awhile. Now she has one tiny baby tooth up top and center (it was a pair but after tug of war and chewing in stuff it finally came out.

I've got probably at least 5 of her teeth.

The family yorkie had a tooth pulled when she got fixed. I was home when the vet called to get the okay (parents were at work ) and I told them go ahead. My folks weren't too thrilled...guess they thought it should just come out on its own (which is free).

#9 ·
Thank you for all of your replies everyone! I spoke with Lola's vet yesterday about her spaying appointment. She did mention that Lola may have to get some teeth pulled during the surgery, so her and I have been playing lots of tug games. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for all of your support and responses. Also, the Havanese were featured on Animal Planet's "Too Cute" last night and it was adorable! I thought of all of our Havanese friends on the forum :)

#10 ·
Teething...

Beanie had two canines on each side when she was about 7 months old; I had her spayed then and asked about the teeth; the vet advised not extracting them, even though all her other ones had fallen out by then...he was right; a short time later, the baby canines were gone...They will fall out probably without extraction; just takes time. Now we have Dottie whose teeth are coming in @ 6 months. I am looking for teething toys again, but mainly she likes to chew on Beanie. Poor Beanie can hardly wait until puppy grows up! By the way..Dottie has just about got going outside to potty all figured out -- and is just starting to figure out how to communicate to tell us. Thank goodness. Now we can get the carpet cleaned and stop buying "Nature's Miracle"! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.