Havanese Forum banner

Bath Day!

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  motherslittlehelper 
#1 ·
Yesterday Tillie got a MUCH needed bath!!!
She did a lot better in the bath this time then she did a couple weeks ago. Only trembled towards the end when she was cold... 'let' me clean her ears out, trimmed around her paws (finally!), little sanitary trim ... it's amazing how much hair comes off these guys even with just this little bit of trimming!! lol

Health wise she is doing better, but had yet another 'accident' in her crate of all places!?? I can't figure that out... it's the 3rd time in the past 2-3 weeks.
Begining to wonder if I should try her out in an x-pen with potty pads again like when she was a baby. even though she NEVER used the potty pads. lol She might now though...
I'll take her back to the vet for a re check and a full blood work up next weeke sometime.

Without further ado, here are the pics...

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
Until Friday, I would have said we were making good progress. After the vet visit, it has been downhill. I wish I had not allowed the cath. He was hurt somehow when they inserted that. He started having to go more often again, and is not holding it all night again. I took him out at midnight last night and my husband takes them out at 6 a.m. He said Augie went out about 20 feet, stopped and would not go further. So he came in and checked and Augie had peed on the throw rug. I should have set myself an alarm for 3 a.m. Last night I just happened to sleep from 1 to 6 - doesn't happen often. When I went to pick him up, he wimpered and is quivering. He ate last night. Still not drinking much. Sounds somewhat like Tillie.

#16 ·
Karen ~ that's the way my vet does it (needle into the bladder) IF they can't get the dog to pee.

Linda, I am so very sorry, know that we are struggling right along with you. ((((HUGS))))
Tillie seems mostly fine except for she is still not drinking. I am adding a good amount of water to her food and that is getting her through, but it's the oddest thing. WHY don't they DRINK when they are struggling like this?? odd.
Anywho, I am begining to worry and research incontinence as Tillie has wet her CRATE (no where else) 3 nights in a row now....?????? so very strange.
I leave the door to her crate OPEN. Her bed is no more than a foot away from my bed, she has never cried, tried to wake me up, nothing... which is why I am wondering about incontinence. I know if she KNEW she HAD to pee she would at the very least whine and whimper.? weird.
I'll be calling her vet to schedule her following up appt in the morning, hopefully he'll be able to see her sometime this week.

I am also starting to consider moving her crate into the kitchen (with tile floors) and set the x-pen around it AND giving her a pee pad, she's never used pee pads before, never had ANY interest. But it seems to me that she may NEED them now and might be more likely to use it. Goodness knows I can soak up the PEE in her crate to get the smell on it. sigh. I wonder how she would do... she has ALWAYS slept in her crate in our closet area... don't want to cause her more trauma or feeling like I am 'sending her away' ... you know??? sigh.

#17 ·
I know what you mean, Tammy. They probably already don't feel good about going in places that aren't appropriate, so we sure don't want to make them feel worse about it. But I would want her crate on a hard surface too, where it is easily cleaned.

Jack had told me that Augie peed on the throw rug last night or early morning. He did not tell me that Augie peed the amount of water a bathtub would hold! Holy moly. Thank goodness it was not on carpet. Augie is acting today the same way he acted the last Parvo shot. Wimpered when I tried to move him and sits in a little hump. He is not feeling good. His nose is wet and cold. I gave him a small dish of the new food, mixed with a few kibbles and water. He cleaned that up. And I think all the pee was probably the subcutaneous fluid they put in him, as I no longer feel that on his back. Hopefully, he is rinsed out.

Karen, that does sound barbaric, but if it would cause less trauma, I would prefer that. But the vet mentioned trying to get a clean catch in a cup next time. May have to trim some hair just to find his business! He is one hairy little guy. He is such a good dog, that it breaks my heart to see him not feeling well.

#20 ·
Jack had told me that Augie peed on the throw rug last night or early morning. He did not tell me that Augie peed the amount of water a bathtub would hold! Holy moly. Thank goodness it was not on carpet.
When my Hav got a UTI, the first obvious sign was when he peed a gigantic puddle while laying down on the couch right next to me AFTER we had gone on a 45 min walk (which he appeared to be quite happy about going on). I think what happened was that it hurt to pee so he didn't, but then he had to go so badly when he finally did, he emptied his entire bladder - maybe while asleep. Poor guy. I took him out afterwards and he tried to pee every 5 feet. Vet in the AM and antibiotics seemed to be enough. It's horrible your pup's infections don't seem to be cleared up yet!

I feel terrible I didn't notice sooner, but on the walk he made a few dribbles or attempted to on vertical surfaces. There was so little daylight here, most of his pees were in dim light or the dark so I wasn't inspecting the amount. He wasn't wrestling with the cat quite so much, but still some.

#19 ·
thanks so much! I am seeing SO much of my old Tillie. It's great! Looking forward to getting her into the vet this week and figuring out what the heck is going ON with her pee'ing in her crate!! sigh.
But so glad she is feeling SO much better!! I've missed her!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.