Havanese Forum banner

5K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  TilliesMom 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
She looks great! I love that your groomer posts photos of all his grooms before and after. that would be so awesome to see his work ahead of time and show him exactly what you would like! I'm tempted if I ever get Gemma groom to drive to the miramichi and get him to do it "just like chica"

#12 ·
I love the new cut! Yes I do my own I had worked at a salon for years and watched human hair cuts. It took over a year for me to get the nerve to just do it and I had also decided not to show Zoey any more. I really was happy with the job I did. Maybe I can down load a picture. No my computer isn't working I think I started a trend called Zoeys first hair cut?

#16 ·
She looks great! I love her before and I love her after too! It seems so rare that someone posts an after shot of a clip they love and a wonderful groomer story.....I am thrilled to see a wonderful outcome! :cheer2:

#17 ·
Hehe, you guys actually do a nice job grooming. I think of all the pics I've seen, and I've looked at tons of photos on here, I've only seen maybe 2 cringe inducing owner grooms. Of course there are always bad groomers, but I think that's a matter of just plain bad luck and a majority of groomers can give a nice, safe and decent haircut compared to a new owner groomer, with the exception of TilliesMom, who did an impressive hand scissor body cut. I think because we are so dedicated to our breed everyone does try to keep up on the grooming and carefully do it. Outside the forum however, is a totally different ballgame. Almost all owners who I've seen take scissors to their dog ruin the face and there's no way for me to fix it because I can't put the hair back on and it just has to grow out. But not without me giving a gentle suggestion to bring the dog in for a quick face tidy, only $6!

On a more serious note just last week one of my coworkers had to shave down a severely matted standard poodle. The owner, an older woman, had tried to cut the mats out with scissors (big no-no, you get written up at PetSmart for doing that) and sliced her dog twice on the thigh. Two thick one-inch scars remained after what I'm sure resulted in gushing blood and possible veterinary treatment. The owner didn't seem too concerned and asked for pom poms (which she of course did NOT get). So glad no one on the forum is like that!

#24 ·
Hehe, you guys actually do a nice job grooming. I think of all the pics I've seen, and I've looked at tons of photos on here, I've only seen maybe 2 cringe inducing owner grooms. Of course there are always bad groomers, but I think that's a matter of just plain bad luck and a majority of groomers can give a nice, safe and decent haircut compared to a new owner groomer, with the exception of TilliesMom, who did an impressive hand scissor body cut. I think because we are so dedicated to our breed everyone does try to keep up on the grooming and carefully do it. Outside the forum however, is a totally different ballgame. Almost all owners who I've seen take scissors to their dog ruin the face and there's no way for me to fix it because I can't put the hair back on and it just has to grow out. But not without me giving a gentle suggestion to bring the dog in for a quick face tidy, only $6!

On a more serious note just last week one of my coworkers had to shave down a severely matted standard poodle. The owner, an older woman, had tried to cut the mats out with scissors (big no-no, you get written up at PetSmart for doing that) and sliced her dog twice on the thigh. Two thick one-inch scars remained after what I'm sure resulted in gushing blood and possible veterinary treatment. The owner didn't seem too concerned and asked for pom poms (which she of course did NOT get). So glad no one on the forum is like that!
I had Kodi in for his "around the edges" trim this AM, and the other groomer was working on a cat, whose owner wanted it to look like a lion. I asked if the cat had been matted, and the groomer told me, no, the owner just wanted it to look like a lion! Poor cat! Going into winter with NO HAIR on its body! I think the groomer should have refused.

#18 ·
bwhahahhahaa.... were you the one that said I 'couldn't' scissor cut Tillie? :pound:
lol, ya, what can I say, I like a challenge. drives my husband INSANE. He tells me I can't DO something? oh HECK no ... I'm gonna DO IT. :D
although I am hoping to get some affordable thinning shears before her next trim down (in the spring). ;)

#21 ·
Why do you need thinning shears? I have had great success without! I change the angel of the scissors so it doesn't leave a blunt cut look. My problem is getting every thing even. I'm always going back to the table for just a bit more.

#26 ·
I love thinners. If use properly, they give a natural look vs a blunt obvious scissor cut. It comes down to personal preference. You like blunt cuts in the coat, Tilliesmom likes a more natural, less obvious look. That's all it is.
You can achieve the same look by changing the angel of the scissors I learned it from my hair dresser friends . Horizontal and vertical then tinny snips at the ends.

#27 ·
You can achieve the same look by changing the angel of the scissors I learned it from my hair dresser friends . Horizontal and vertical then tinny snips at the ends.
Seems like a whole lot of extra work, having to criss cross the coat and doing little snips, at that. I'd rather spare the headache and my hand and just spend the $40 for thinners, but to each his own.

#19 ·
Try Heritage Klein. They are an excellent price and quality combo. I bought mine for $40, I think. Yes, I did say you "shouldn't" hand scissor her BC of the drop coat and most people wouldn't know not to do a "dipping" motion with the hand, which puts gouges into the coat. Still, you can't hand scissor a yorkie. I guess if there is enough body you can. But then again I hope you don't have a yorkie!:biggrin1:

#28 ·
Chica could be an adorable stuffed animal! Well not actualy Chica but a little stuffed toy that looked like him....so CUTE!

I have been trying my hand at grooming...but it finally got to a point that they needed a professional. After this time I am hoping to be able to trim them up for a while and will hopefully be able to wait 6/8 months before going back to the groomers.

I bought the Jodi Murphy DVD, it really helped a lot. I watch it all over again everytime I pick up the thinning shears, love them.

#29 ·
I had to get Tillie trimmed down at a groomers when she was about 9 months old due to severe coat blowing and I just could NOT keep up with 3 hrs a day of de matting!!

I have found that since then I am able to manage her just fine, and have gotten through a few minor coat 'blows' ... the only time I have had to take her in in the past year and 1/2 is when I discovered I am apparently supposed to combed out her BUTT! lol the area under her poop hole was SOOOO matted as I hadn't been combing THAT area!! So I had the groomer trim it down and now I know to comb there! :pound:
I don't forsee ever taking her to a groomer again... I trimmed her down all by myself last March and thought not a perfect job, she didn't look 1/2 bad for a novice! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.