Havanese Forum banner

Is all expensive dog food really more expensive?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  davetgabby 
#1 ·
I found some brands of the dog foods that are thought of as being expensive to be closer to their cheaper counter parts. For Nina from the "cheaper" kibbles she needs 1 cup daily while for some considered more "expensive" brands she needs 1/2 cup daily.

I also noticed some more expensive dogfoods have a variety in serving size. Blue and Taste of the Wild were some that she needed only 1/2 cup daily while canidae she needed 1 cup. I wonder if others are also looking at serving size.

Nina is so small that I do not worry too much about kibble cost compared to when we had our sharpei or golden retriever but it is nice to know the dogfood considered better is not really so much more expensive.We measure out Nina's food everytime we feed her and she seldom gets extra snacks or treats because I am worried about feeding too much or too little.

Do you look at serving size when buying dogfood or for that matter when feeding your dog?

#2 ·
#5 ·
I switched Timmy over to a raw diet and I have to say it's been great. I do think it is expensive, but he doesn't have to eat as much either. My vet says that the dog food companies say to feed way more then you have to because they want you to buy more food. I have noticed that not only does Timmy LOVE this food, he is so regular in his bathroom habits that I can almost anticipate when he's going to knock on the door. I have just recently switched from freeze dried raw, really expensive, to frozen raw because it is cheaper and has the exact same ingredients.

#7 ·
I switched Timmy over to a raw diet ....
I didn't know it came frozen. I am learning as I am going. Nina is pretty small and doesn't need too much food but I want to be sure it is the right quality and quantity. I am not ready for raw or home cooked but know I am interested in adding some over time to her kibble diet not just for health reasons but also because I enjoy taking care of her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.