Havanese Forum banner

Pet Relocation Services?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Kathie 
#1 ·
Hi all, good chance that we are moving to England for 4 months in the new year. We of course HAVE to take Coach with us. Although the UK has thankfully dropped their quarantine requirements, dogs are still not allowed to fly in with us in the cabin. They have to go in via cargo. There is also a lot of paperwork and vet requirements all of which I'm sure I could handle, however after the suggestions of "traveling with pets" type forums I've decided to use a relocation service to handle everything.

It's Petrelocation.com and so far they seem very easy to work with and I haven't found any negative comments on them, but of course am a bit nervous... It is Coach we're talking bout here...

Have any of you ever used a service like that? Any suggestions?

#3 ·
Hey there! I know a couple who constantly travel back and forth from England (one is a brit, one is an american) and encountered this issue with their mini schnauzer. Their solution, which may or may not work for you, is to fly into France and drive to England via the Chunnel (I think that's what they call it). It may seem like an extra hassle, but if you're just going over there the one time and staying (which it sounds like you are) this may be an option for you. I know nothing about pet relocation services, so I don't know what to tell you about that. Good luck with your move!

#7 ·
That's definitely worth researching! We'd have to take the train in since supposedly you can't bring French rental cars into the UK, but I'll look into it. My husband is a British citizen so that might help a bit too.

Thanks!
Maybe someone he knows in UK can drive over to France and pick y'all up?

What about taking the boat over? Not a lot of cruise ships take dogs, but from what I just saw online the Queen Mary 2 has kennel space. So I guess that means your dog doesn't stay in your cabin, but you get to visit and walk your four legged family member.

here's links to other info:
http://www.dogjaunt.com/guides/international-airline-pet-policies-for-in-cabin-travel/

http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/airtravel

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/dog-travel-internationally-33671.html

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/dog-european-cruise-ship-100193.html

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/dog-cruise-63056.html

#6 ·
We'd have to go on the train, can't do one way drop offs of French rental cars in the UK. Not even sure you can take rental cars across. We've taken the train before, it's an easy ride and would be perfect, but after doing more research I've found several people had lots of trouble getting into the UK (even returning from a trip) with all the checking they do with papers and such. Lots of requirements. I would hate to have things go wrong and be stuck.

We've driven across country with Coach a couple of times and flown with him a ton but always in the cabin with us. He does really well. I'll be really nervous but if they can get million dollar race horses flown around the world in cargo planes I'm sure they can deal with Coach. Much better than in the luggage department of a commercial jet.

These folks handle all the paperwork, get the tickets and the right carrier. They stay with him at the airport until loaded, track his flight and meet him at the other end and walk us through the entire customs process. Not cheap, but as my husband says... "just add it to the Coach budget line item" :)

#8 ·
I'll be really nervous but if they can get million dollar race horses flown around the world in cargo planes I'm sure they can deal with Coach. Much better than in the luggage department of a commercial jet.

These folks handle all the paperwork, get the tickets and the right carrier. They stay with him at the airport until loaded, track his flight and meet him at the other end and walk us through the entire customs process. Not cheap, but as my husband says... "just add it to the Coach budget line item" :)
It definitely sounds better than "regular" cargo on a passenger plane, but I can tell you FOR SURE that when performance horses fly, they have a trusted and familiar groom with them.

#9 ·
I wish I could go with him, even in Cargo! The more research I've done the better I feel about them.

Their site has tons of pics (especially the facebook link, where Coach has already become a star) and examples of moves. It's amazing some of the places that people have had to move pets to. The guy that is assigned to us specializes in moves to the UK. It's about $3500 to get him over there, I know that sounds absurd, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the idea about the cruise ship, but not really feasible. In addition to requiring pet passports, The UK has this worming thing that it has to be done prior to 24 hours but not later than 5 days, very strict on so much stuff. (even if just left the UK and trying to get back in) They used to require a 6 month quarantine!

It was through some of those links and others that I found PetRelocation.

http://www.petrelocation.com/frontpage/

#10 ·
I am glad you found something you are comfortable with and works. I noticed they move many cats too. As a child I moved from Europe to the USA and we took our dog, German Shepard, in cargo but my parents decided to leave our cat with the house. Our dog did well but was about 1 yr old and very large. Also we had a friend who worked at the USA port of entry and he met our dog Ulferd as soon as he came of the plane.

#12 ·
Sad to have left the cat :-( pet's are so much a part of our lives
It was. Our whole family just loved the cat. My mother was visiting a year later and talked to the people who bought the house. Guess who was their cat? I was glad to find out he was doing well and had adopted the new family that moved in. It was at that time the opinion you leave cats and move dogs.

It sounds like Coach is set. When is the big move? I'll look for stories once you have relocated to the UK.

#13 ·
Funny how cats do that. We had one that decided to live with the neighbors instead of us. Didn't realize it until we were over there one day and there she was with a new collar on and everything. They never knew she had been ours, oh well, she was happier; they didn't have a dog and we did.

We're going over next week to settle out housing, then move beginning of January. There is still a chance that it won't happen but looking pretty sure.

#14 ·
I've been MIA awhile due to kids schedules and work but I handle cargo for a large airline and would suggest you find an airline that will allow the pet to ride on the main deck of the aircraft with you. A lot of cargo hulls are not pressurized/temperature controlled and when you transport a horse the are sedated and ride on a converted main deck of the aircraft. I wouldn't suggest sedated an animal the size of our loveable Hav's because it slows the breathing down and would put to much stress on their little systems. I believe that American moves animals on their flights and possibly Quantas. Each airline is different as well as the countries which I am sure you are finding out. I know that Air France allows pets in cabin. I hope this helps and good luck with your move, I believe I will over in IE in May but nothing has been finalized yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.