Havanese Forum banner

Bobby's in the ER!

10K views 77 replies 44 participants last post by  Blue_Persuasion 
#1 ·
I'm so scared, I can hardly type.

Bobby, who just turned a year old on 10/29, is in the ER right now, and we don't know what's wrong. Right now, the vet at the animal hospital has three ideas in mind: lepto, liver shunts, or he injested a toxin.

Bobby has been perfectly and completely fine for the whole time we've had him. The biggest problem we've had is that he eats his hair off which has been bothersome, and I've been doing all I can to try to figure out what is going on.

But today, he fell really ill, and he's now in the hospital for at least 24 to 36 hours. Seems around 5:00, he was laying on my husband while they were on the couch, and he started retching. My husband scooped him up and ran him over to the sink thinking he was throwing up another furball like in the past. He threw up some bile-like substance and then started screaming like he was in pain. My husband then returned with him to the couch and was comforting him, and he said the dog was breathing kind of shallowly and making some small noises. Then he felt Bob's stomach tensing up and realized after a few moments that the dog had pooped while laying in his arms.

He then took him outside to go finish going to the bathroom; and when he did, he said Bob collapsed and was lethargic. I got an alarming phone call as i was leaving work, telling me he was heading to emergency.

Bobby just got fixed on 10/29, and thankfully I had them run bloodwork so we had some baseline numbers. His liver enzymes at that time were at 43, and tonight they were at 1,500. Additionally, his clotting agent numbers are low, and they had to inject him with vitamin K. They said that a preliminary look at his x-rays show a small liver for the size dog he is. The more I keep reading, the more I wonder if it's liver shunts, though he doesn't have many of the symptoms that I've read, AND it came on so quickly. The vet said something about oftentimes, after they've been under anesthesia, a shunt will reveal itself (I think that's what she said).

Right now we don't know anything, and I'm beside myself with worry. I don't know what's worse -- not knowing what's wrong, or looking at the possibilities. I'm trying to read through some of y'all's other experiences, but I still don't know what to think. The earliest I may know something is tomorrow after 10:00. I'm so very scared. :'(

See less See more
#56 ·
The picture of Bobby at home has made my day! I have noticed for me, at first although I am excited, I am really wound up and so hyper-alert when I bring one of my pups back from a sickness or operation, but after awhile I feel my self breath a sigh of relief as the feeling of all is well comes back. I hope your there.

As a suggestion please go over to all the areas where Bobby might run or sniff outside and make for sure there is nothing unusual...look for mouse or rat bait this is the time of year people use it, and are not careful with the handling of it, sometimes they are little pellets pick anything like that up and throw it away...the baits are very attractive to our dogs. You will probably never know what it was but it's always good to be on the safe side.

#58 ·
I know my husband went over the yard with a fine-toothed comb yesterday. Though I HATE not knowing how this all happened, the vet is also strongly looking at the fact that he was neutered just three weeks ago and this could be as a result of the anesthesia. This episode seems to fit within the window of that having happened. I'm also VERY glad I said yes to the blood work before that surgery as it wasn't necessary and cost another $70 or so. It gave us a base line to see where he was prior to surgery and where he was Thursday night. Knowing all of this, it's very possible it was from that.

Another pic showing he feels better. Certainly not a "Hallmark moment," but it shows he's feeling more comfortable. :)

Attachments

#68 · (Edited)
Apparently while I was out shopping for Thanksgiving, he got a bath and was his old self afterwards (very animated and excitable). He's paying for it now, as he's zonked on the couch. I can tell he's gone through something (even if I wasn't there for all the horrors of the ER) because he is a VERY active pup. To see him sleeping so much is odd. lol

#72 ·
Apparently while I was out shopping for Thanksgiving, he got a bath and was his old self afterwards (very animated and excitable). He's paying for it now, as he's zonked on the couch. I can tell he's gone through something (even if I wasn't there for all the horrors of the ER) because he is a VERY active pup. To see him sleeping so much is odd. lol
Sounds great!

#69 ·
I guess that's to be expected. Sounds like he's on the mend.

#71 ·
I'm sorry I wasn't around to help comfort you when you were so scared. My sisters Ausie went threw the same thing we still don't know what made her so sick.I think she got into something but it took over a month to get her back on track. Sounds like you have a good vet.
Zoey and Maddie got sick a while back I figured it out latter that she had a bag of wellness dog food that had been recalled. I had no idea until I went to get another bag that it had been recalled. So you just never know what might cause our baby's to come down sick.

#74 ·
Happy that Bobby is doing well now that he is home. A bath must be heaven for him, after all if they smell bad to us after this kind of ordeal...imagine...since dogs sense of smell is so much more evolved then ours, how he felt about his own smell.

#76 ·
He got all trimmed along with his bath from yesterday (getting ready for grandma and grandpa to show up). He now has "poodle puff" feet since they trimmed him down to the skin on both front legs. lol And, yes, our vet is very good, even for an emergency vet. Not only do they take good care of our pups, I feel they're VERY reasonable for being an ER. We even got just shy of $500 back from our $1900 "low end" fee we had to pay the night we dropped him off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.