Havanese Forum banner

Too smart for me

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Gerard26 
#1 ·
So I am trying to train Ted not to growl and bark and lunge when cars go by. When we are on a walk and the odd car goes by I try and get his attention as soon as I hear a car coming and get Ted to sit, and give him treats while the vehicle is going by. Once or twice a week in the morning I walk up to the highway and we stand there and I give him a treat when he doesn't lunge and bark....!
Good old Ted has now figured out that when we go that way and I stand there while cars go by, that if he just sits quietly facing me, I will give him a treat when a car drives by. I'm pretty sure that the message and training I did with him has failed. I'm pretty sure that when he is sitting in front of me that he is actually laughing at me:(

#3 · (Edited)
Lise you somewhat are on the right track but you probably are trying to train when he's too stressed already. I have a great article that is adaptable to any sort of trigger that a dog may react to. This is called BAT training , Behavior Adjustment Training. Give it a read, it's fairly easily understood, if you've already tried clicker training which you have. http://functionalrewards.com/BAT-basics.pdf five easy pages lol

#4 ·
Thanks Dave. Haven't been on in a while much. Just saw this thread. I think my error is not walking away from the car,although as its approaching its a hard thing to do. When we are at the highway, I guess I'm far away enough that its not a threat plus they aren't coming towards us. I laugh at the loose leash! Not something that happens often with Ted. He pulls like a Mack truck most times. His nose is always to the ground sniffing and going for the next sniff. He is being really bratty right now, and I think it may be boredom. I have purchased him a treat ball and am going back to training him to do some more tricks. So tempted to bring him for his neutering!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.