Havanese Forum banner

Is there such a thing as too much snow/cold?

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Tia 
#1 ·
Lucky loves the snow. Loves to jump in it, render himself a snow plow and push his face through it etc. He could spend hours in our fenced in area out back but I'm thinking, "Hey, this dog is from Havana. Should he like the cold? Should I not leave him out for too long?" etc. etc. My DH says, he'll let us know when he's had enough but that doesn't seem to happen and the snow removal is always a challenge when he's finally in. Can there be too much of a good thing snow and cold wise for our little one year old Hav.?Thanks for input.

#2 ·
Yes, they do seem to love the snow. Go figure - Havana ancestry and all. I wouldn't, however, leave him out there indefinitely assuming that he'll let you know when he's cold, as he may become frost bitten. His ears, tail, paws, etc. are all vulnerable and he needs to be protected. Even when taking my departed Havanese, Bailey, out for a walk in the snow, he would just stop and hold up his paw, after awhile, as it was getting too cold. He never got frost bitten, but did get cold, although he played in the snow, just like yours, and would never have come in on his own, especially if I was out there making paths for them in the yard. If I was out, no matter how long, they wanted to be out too. I guess caution would be best.

#3 ·
always monitor them ,but yeah Molly loves it too. When it's really cold she'll lift her paws in a funny manner, that's usually when we head in.

#4 ·
I'm going to try a new product on their paws this year, mushers secret. That's the one thing that seems to bother them. As Dave said, they will lift their paws when they hurt. Since I put coats on them, that's the only part I notice bothers them. If the snows not sticking, I will walk them for an hour. If their feet get full of snowballs, the walk is cut very short. The coats help because once they are done walking, they tend to shiver a bit on the car ride home.

#5 ·
yeah Linda, I hear that's a good product.

#9 ·
I agree, I didn't think they would enjoy the winter/snow as much as they do and that just monitoring them while they are outside is the best thing..

Mine were playing outside and having a great time today and I don't think they were really ready to come back in when I made them. But when Aries slowed down for a few minutes and I saw how covered in snowballs she was, I knew it was time to go in! It took me about half an hour to 45 minutes to get the snowballs out, de-mat her and get her dry.. Thankfully Sonic is through his matting phase again and it went a lot easier cleaning him off. I'm going to have to check out all the winter gear for the dogs if they are going to want to go playing in the snow every time...

Here are a few pictures I was able to get of them (with my new Christmas present - so be prepared for a lot more Sonic and Aries pictures haha)..

Attachments

#17 ·
I agree, I didn't think they would enjoy the winter/snow as much as they do and that just monitoring them while they are outside is the best thing..

Mine were playing outside and having a great time today and I don't think they were really ready to come back in when I made them. But when Aries slowed down for a few minutes and I saw how covered in snowballs she was, I knew it was time to go in! It took me about half an hour to 45 minutes to get the snowballs out, de-mat her and get her dry.. Thankfully Sonic is through his matting phase again and it went a lot easier cleaning him off. I'm going to have to check out all the winter gear for the dogs if they are going to want to go playing in the snow every time...

Here are a few pictures I was able to get of them (with my new Christmas present - so be prepared for a lot more Sonic and Aries pictures haha)..
What great photos!!! I certainly hope you send these to Heather as potential calendar pix!!!

#10 ·
I really hope we get some snow here this year, I know Benjamin would love it! I can totally picture Lucky pushing through it like a little snow plow, how cute. I have wondered about that, if their paws will get frostbite. It does seem like they might be like little kids, getting lost in the fun (assuming they are the sort of pups that love snow), and forgetting to come in out of the cold. I probably wouldn't need to worry much, because my tolerance for cold is pretty minimal, so we won't be staying out in it for long! Now sunburn on a hot summer day, that is another story! :)
-- Eileen

#12 ·
Great pictures of the kids in the snow!! How adorable. I only use snowsuits when the snow is deep or extremely sticky. This morning the snow is not as sticky as yesterday, so I will just put their coats on. Their legs will be exposed, but they prefer not being so restricted. I will use the musher's secret on their pads and see how they do on the hike!

#14 ·
Ok, the Mushers secret worked well! It kept the snowballs from forming between the toes. I had to stopped several times to clean off all the balls from their fur, but it worked great! We went for 45 min. Here you can see the balls formed everywhere except for the pads of their feet.

Attachments

#18 ·
I wish Kodi liked the snow!!! He did when he was younger, but now he wants no part of it. He went out this morning, ran all around looking for his favored leaves to potty in, with no success. Then he ran back in and peed in his box. I fed him breakfast, then we went through the whole thing again while he ran around outside, crying because he needed to go so bad, and couldn't find an "approved" place. Finally he came back in again, ran STRAIGHT to his box, and hardly got all the way in before he squatted and pooped.

#20 ·
No, no snowballs because he never left the plowed parts... it's pretty deep. Even this afternoon, after it has melted down some, it's higher than his back.

#21 ·
Poor kodi

Linda those pics are so cute!! I don't get snow here but on a few of the coolers summer nights where it's been windy Doug loves being outside and will just stand still whole the wind blows through him lol.

We are on holidays and I can see how much he hates the sun. We were going out this morning (7am so sunny but not hot) and he got to the door and retreated because of the sun. I had to pick him up and carry him out to a shady spot so he could do his business.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.