Havanese Forum banner

What to do with a badly matted dog in the winter?

9K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  atsilvers27 
#1 ·
OK, I messed up. I thought I had a handle on Una's mats ,but boy was I wrong! Bottom line, she has several large mats that I can't get out--nor do I want to keep trying, it's ruining our relationship. She's a year old and blowing, and cutting her coat is the only option now. The problem is that it's winter! Im worried if she gets cut short (as short as she probably needs to get rid of the mats),she's going to freeze! She loves the outside, but from what I've been reading, any type of clothing will just make more mats.
Help! What do I do?

#5 ·
I vote for the short clip down and a coat. She won't matt with clothes on when she is cut down. Then you need to make a practice of combing every day for just a few minutes. That way both of you will get used to it from an easy, patient standpoint.

#8 ·
Shave her. I am a groomer myself and almost couldn't keep my dog's coat when she was blowing coat in the winter. Save you and your dog the grief. Despite what some people might think, there is a point of no return. Even show dogs get shaved occasionally. Not to mention that tight mats on the skin cause circulatory problems at the skin and irritation.

#10 ·
I was wondering if that were true, that mats close to their skin are painful, the groomer by our office who cuts Gucci's nails saw a mat on her rump right where her tail is that i had missed, I guess, combing her out and she offered to cut it off and said that mats are painful for dogs. I wasn't sure if I believed that or not, because wouldn't that make corded dogs in pain all over since the cords start at the skin?

Ever since then, I've been pretty mindful about that area and she is so hyper sensitive on her tail anyways I just cut them off for the most part as long as they are little and wouldn't leave a silly bald spot.

Julie, I guess you could try to comb some out by cutting into them and then using corn starch, rub a bunch of it into the mat, it really does help the mat come out easier. I' also remember when she was blowing coat, I could even get some of the ones in the tub combing them out underwater, having the mat completely submerged does help loosen it up, too. but I would only do that on the ones missed during comb out. They say to comb them out before baths because a bath can make them worse, which I find to be true..but it seems like I always feel atleast a few that I missed when I'm bathing her.

Kara

#9 ·
The best thing to do will be a shavedown. If the mats are close to the skin and pelted, there is no way to brush it. Just put clothing on her until her hair grows. Anything that causes repeated friction on the coat will cause mats, so at least with her hair short, you can enjoy clothing. It is very important to actually increase the amount of grooming during the winter months because this is the time people want to keep their dogs hair long - which should mean more baths, blowdry, and brushing to keep the coat from matting. Matted hair gets tighter with moisture and it is hard to dry it - this can lead to moisture trapped underneath the mat which causes infections and skin irritation, not to mention the dog never getting dry and remaining cold. There are many dogs with long hair romping around in snow, the owner thinking the dog is warm, when in reality the dog is freezing to death because the mats are wet and never dry. This can be very dangerous!

#12 ·
I have the same issue with Rango and am going to shave him down. He will look pretty funny as he is a bigger Hav. I hope that his new coat will be a little easier to handle. I will be sorry to cut off the chocolate tips. Any ideas on the best way to shave him? Linda

#13 ·
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. I've got Una scheduled for a cut this Thursday...I'm not going to do a shave yet, but start with a puppy cut and see how that goes. Knowing that clothing on a short coat wont make the matting worse really helped me feel better about what I have to do. She's such a good natured pup, I really want her to be happy!

#14 · (Edited)
Emmie got really matted last month; she had too much fun at the dog park (i.e. wet and muddy) and then I washed her before combing out her mats - big mistake. I ended up making her mats worse, especially on her sensitive belly. She now looks like a little Parisian dog after her shavedown! But all the cute clothes she's wearing makes up for my guilt and sadness over her short hair. I also know more about how to groom her (and have better tools), so I'm hoping that as her hair grows out I'm able to care for it properly. - Jeanne

#20 ·
Suzi, scissors are dangerous to use on mats, if they are small tangles thinning shears can help. If the dog can't be brushed out it should get shaved. IMO dogs look rediculous with longer hair, mats in the coat, and big sections of hair just lopped off. If it is bad, getting a clean start is much kinder to the dog than having him/her endure hours and hours of torture. It will be easier to grow the coat out after the blowing coat phase.

#22 ·
Una goes in tomorrow. I'll post then to let you know how it turns out. BTW, I just got my new Greyhound pin brush in the mail today--and, wow, do I love it! I think it's really going to help my grooming regimen. I'm also feeling a bit more confident in grooming. It's as though I made a jump in understanding how to do this. A bit late, but better than never!

#27 ·
cut her down, buy her a sweater or coat, and learn to groom and bathe her regularly. I'd like to dispel a couple of remarks made above. Cording doesn't hurt the skin or dog if done properly. I corded my first havanese a while after she finished her championship. She was in full cords until I bred her and was pregnant. To do it right, you have to bathe the dog, and soak, every week or so, thoroughly dry the dog, which takes longer than a brushed out dog, and work with the cords. SOX was never uncomfortable, the working with the cords (after they had formed) took less time than when I kept her in coat. It took about a year to cord her and it was a daily thing doing. I intended to cord Oliver but a week ago, I decided I didn't want to work that hard and shaved him down. I don't know where you live, but like Lucile, he goes out, with no coat or sweater, and is comfortable.

#30 ·
Thanks Becky. So glad to have the input of someone who has actually corded and kept a dog in cords. I'm not sure where some people get these things! I can see if the dog's cords were neglected and it actually became a matted mess, but I have seen Steve's dog GCH Qbin's who's on first (I think that's his name) in person and he seemed very relaxed and alert, even sniffing around to check out me and Hanna. He is an amazing mover in the ring! I can only describe it as cat-like .

#28 ·
Well, we ended up shaving Una. Her little body actually looks cute, but I really dislike what they did with the face, and am not sure how to fix it. But, as you all say, it will grow. Only thing is is DH is working late tonight and hasn't seen her yet...I think he's going to have a stroke!
Thanks for all yor input and support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.