Havanese Forum banner

Winter Gear

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  RitaandRiley 
#1 ·
I know that lots of places aren't worried about winter yet, but here it is COLD!

I am not much for doggie clothes, boots, etc. but I do have a winter coat and boots for Brody.

For much of the winter he's fine without either. His threshold for the boots seems to be around the -20C/-4F range. Up until that point he'll happily run around outside without any on. When it gets into the -20C range then he'll only run around for a few seconds before he stops in his tracks and starts trying to lift his feet off the ground. Poor guy.

This week is cold. I had to dig out his boots on Monday (as much as I'd like to deny it's winter already) as it's going to be in the -20s all week. This morning it is -23C and much colder with the wind chill (darn north wind). Brrrrrr. It only took him less than a minute to get over the funny walking in the boots this year and he'll happily tromp around outside with them on his feet. He definitely lasts longer out there than I do!

I don't need his coat yet, it seems that -30C or so is the threshold for when he appreciates that.

No pictures. It's too darn cold to try and operate a camera out there. I'm such a wimp. ha ha

See less See more
#3 ·
Burr I'm going to have to look up Fort Saint John to see where in BC you live. I bet you have expensive heating bills! Here in Oregon we have lots of rain I don't know what I would rather live with way to cold or way to wet?

#4 ·
I grew up and spent most of my life in North Vancouver so I'm much more used to rain. I only came up here for work! The cold is really killing my asthma this year for some reason.

#5 ·
Only -18C here Tracy. Feels colder. Not sure where wind chill would put that temp.
Lol. I bet Brody appreciated the boots once he got used to them. Must be hilarious watching him at first.
Bucky's very woolly, and he's really been putting on a winter coat this year (that's his shih tzu side). I have a sweater I've put on him a couple times this year, but nothing warmer yet. Fia's so tiny and not used to the cold, so she's got a little coat. She's not fully trained yet, so getting her to go outside at times is a challenge. This morning, she just turned around and went right back to the door.
I used to have a malamute/husky (she went over the rainbow bridge) and I would be able to tell what a winter was going to be like depending on how her winter coat came in.

#6 ·
Yeah, I considered the cold when I got Brody so I deliberately got him in the spring so he'd be as old as possible when his first real winter hit. I'm sure it would have been fine, but I worried about it. LOL

For him, the boots make a huge difference. He just stops and starts trying to lift his feet off the ground when it gets too cold and he won't go and with boots on he his normal ole self.

At home, it's no problem because we have an indoor system, but at work he needs to go outside!

#11 ·
I dont think our winters are as cold in the UK but i have ordered my girls a ski suit jacket each ready for our cold weather and guess where from? yes the USA!! they are so very well priced. Over here in the UK it would cost me about £25-oo each i got 2 for the price of one and they are so much nicer than our's should arrive this week cant wait!!!

#12 ·
If I had money to design something for a Havanese that lives in as cold as area as you guys I would design tights that have built in shoes . I would want the legs to stay warm too and not get snow stuck. I think it would be very expensive to try to design. It would also probably be hard to put on.
Last year I was going to start a line of Havanese suits that was more geared for Oregon weather my goal was to get it together for this season but I got side tracked and never finished the project. I ran into problems like if this was a male dog how would he go potty? I wanted to design boots too.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.