Havanese Forum banner

New Older Puppy

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  lfung5 
#1 ·
We got a 5 month old Havanese puppy about three weeks ago! Its our two young boys' first dog. We are all so in love.

I'm trying to figure out grooming. I don't want it long but i don't want it too short. Is that a teddy bear cut??

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Are you working on socializing . The haircut can wait, .

#5 ·
This.

But when it comes time for a haircut, the first time I got Trooper cut, I held a ruler to him and held out his hair, decided how long I wanted it and that's what I told the groomer. Even if you figure out what all of us would call it, your groomer may have an entirely different idea of what a "puppy cut" or a "teddy bear cut" is.

#6 ·
Thanks! The ruler trick is a great idea.

Yes.. we are socializing. She is great with dogs and people. I have three households with two or more dogs we are visiting weekly. She is around people all the time since i take her every where. THe one thing we are having issues iwth is walks..she is afraid of parked cars and bags of leaves. strange! Also, doing classes with her after the holidays.

I am still figuring out how to load a picture! Mine are too big.

#15 ·
Awe what a cutie? What's her name, or did I miss that somewhere?

THe one thing we are having issues iwth is walks..she is afraid of parked cars and bags of leaves. strange! Also, doing classes with her after the holidays.
Don't worry about her being afraid of inanimate objects, Timmy not only notices everything he's also afraid of lots too. I just don't make a big deal of trying to coddle him in those situations and tell him in a normal voice what the object is and let him take the lead. Lately he has been afraid of everyone's holiday decorations. He's especially afraid of a big plastic Santa one of my neighbors had by her mailbox, deer are next on the list especially those that move.

Welcome to the forum, you'll learn lots here. I have Timmy in what is called a puppy cut, it's a couple inches long and I don't have his face trimmed much at all, I want him to have the scruffy look. :biggrin1:

#7 ·
good stuff, yeah things like inanimate objects can be scary too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.