Havanese Forum banner

Long term boarding in Bay Area, California

7K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Ewokpup 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

We have a nine month old puppy. We have to leave on a 2 month overseas trip in June. We are very sure leaving her in a kennel would not be good for her. We live in the San Fransisco Bay Area ( East Bay). What I would ideally like would be to leave her in a home based boarding so that she would be with a family. Would any of the members from this area have any recommendations?

Also if nothing works out and we have to leave her in a kennel, do you think getting a second dog would be a good idea, so she would have company? She is scared of dogs so we would have to go about it right away so we can get a puppy.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks so much
Anna

#2 ·
have you thought about someone staying at your home, while you are gone? and have a dog walker come and walk her?

I have 3 dogs, and they are all home bodies. plus they are a pack, and if they were to be at someone else house with other dogs, I'm not sure how they would mingle all together like that. she's so small, none of your friends want to watch her for you?

#3 ·
Unfortunately, I have no friends who actually have dogs. There was a mom at school in the same situation as us, with a Havanese and who has to make overseas trips. I had hoped to make a reciprocal arrangement with her, but she gave me the cold shoulder :(. A couple of friends did offer, but I am not sure how sincerely, and also I feel uncomfortable leaving her with them since they are not use to dog poop and stuff.

#14 ·
If you can afford it, there are two websites I can recommend, www.dogvacay.com and www.sittercity.com (under More Services at the bottom) that board your dogs in their home or you can contact pet sitters right out of the yellow pages and check them out. No matter who you find, you have to do references and home checks and compatibility, etc. I occasionally board myself but my guys are 9yo and almost 12yo and wouldn't be very good playmates for a 9 month old puppy!
Monica, Dooley & Roxie

#18 ·
Hi, Anna,

I don't like to advertise my services on the Forum, but I am one of the DogVacay.com hosts and live in the East Bay with our two Havanese. Feel free to PM me for more information.

#19 · (Edited)
Hi, Anna,

I don't like to advertise my services on the Forum, but I am one of the DogVacay.com hosts and live in the East Bay with our two Havanese. Feel free to PM me for more information.
Ah, the cavalry rides in. Sounds like a great option to me.

#26 ·
My friend was wanting to come to Portland and stay for over a month. She found this service that places you in a home free of rent in exchange for pet sitting . Its for people that want to travel and stay rent free. I know she had to go threw a background check . It would be a bit scary to just have a stranger come stay. It worked out fine for the woman who had my friend come because she is an honest pet loving person.

#29 ·
It sounds like you have some good possibilities already. I would also like to recommend Rover.com, which is a national (U.S.) organization, to find pet sitters in your area. Most will do it in either your home or theirs. I have found several good people in my area who I have checked out and used for pet sitting and daycare. This way Benjamin has been able to get used to them in case I need to make quick arrangements for overnight boarding some time, and he will not need to stay in a strange place. I think Rover does a great job of screening people, and everyone I have met so far has seemed very friendly and responsible. It can be pricey, but I would imagine that people would be willing to make a deal for a long term stay. Good luck!

#30 ·
Posibilly posting within a radius from where you live with -for a hav family. Maybe you could trade off.
I have/am going through a similar situation.
Seems like if people do not have dogs-they are not interested. If they do have dogs-whether our Hav will fit in is questionable.
Just shows- we gotta stick together

#32 ·
Harley is nine months as well. We live in New Mexico.I am not even sure that there is ANY Havs in NM. I plan to go to Wisc. I would like to make it a long trip to see family but they do not have 4 legged friends-so questionable. I am still working on a plan to take him with me. I can not afford a pet-friendly hotel. Still mulling it over. :ranger:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.