Havanese Forum banner

How do you know if your hav is cold?

5K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  heatherk 
#1 ·
There have been many cold nights lately where I am tucked under the blankets at night. I always have a blanket on top of my bed for my dog. Sometimes it feels so cold in the room and I always wonder if my dog is cold or not. Should I assume if he's cold he will get under the blanket? He's never been a dog to get under the covers.

#3 ·
he's probably alright. I've tried throwing a blanket over Molly at times, and two minutes later she's crawling from underneath it. If they curl up they might be a bit more cold but our room goes down to 65 at night and Molly is laying stretched out so I assume she's not cold.

#4 ·
Kodi is a heat seeking missle. He burrows way down under the covers, even when I have the electric blanket on high. I'll here him panting down there, and he STILL stays for a long time. Then suddenly, when he cant STAND it anymore, he comes SHOOTING out from under the covers and stretches out on top, with his belly exposed to cool off. Nut!!!:pound:

#9 ·
I touch their noses. Fred runs warm so his nose doesn't get cold very often. Scuds nose can get as cold as ice, so I will put a sweater on him then. Bella is always cold and shivers without a sweater and coat over it. She wears both sweater and coat inside!

#10 ·
I always thought a dog was suppose to have a cold nose? Django would NEVER wear a coat or sweater regardless of how cold he was. He hates them and It's a bummer cuz I have a bin full of both! He always wears a coat if we go for a walk and it's very cold outside.

He sometimes buries his head and body behind the pillow on the sofa but i don't think that's because he's cold. Maybe he just wants some peace and quiet!

#11 ·
I think this is a great question! Laila and Lily sleep in crates, and our room is about 60 at night so I do worry about them. Neither one makes a peep, and both have beds with sides and I have a blanket over their crates. But I still worry....Will they whine or cry if they are cold??

Lexi and Logan are in bed with us so I don't worry about them, as they will snuggle next to us if they get chilly.

#13 ·
Fred has never really had a cold nose. He is healthy but has always had a warmer nose than scuds and Bella. He runs on the warm side anyway. It's when I see him curled up like a sardine that makes me touch his nose. At this moment his nose is usually cold. That's when the sweater goes on. I know an ice cold nose is not normal for him. I can also tell when scuds is cold because he curls up and buries his face him his fur. Bella just shivers which is a dead give away:)

#15 ·
yeah Linda I'd be cold at your house too., when you keep it at 50 degrees lol.

#14 ·
noses are supposed to be cold. several vets have told me that. BUT just b/c their nose is warm, doesn't mean anything either, although if their nose is always warm, that could mean something.

My first dog, unbenounced to me, was from a BYB, and she was inbred at least a couple of generations, had kidney failure at the cellular level, something you only read about in textbooks. anyway, toward the end of her short life, her nose was always warm.

#17 ·
Yikes! You had me worried so i just checked his nose. It is damp and cool, but not super cold. I guess his nose gets warm when he is hot. He runs so hot and is normally warm when my other 2 are comfortable. He hates the heat. and runs for shade in the summer. Bella is the opposite and with sunbathe in 100 degree weather. She loves to sun herself:)

#20 ·
nope it means nothing really, they fluctuate but no real meaning. The only real indicator is shivering.

#26 ·
yep, generally it 's an indicator but not always. Sled dogs curl up into a "C" in a snowbank. If they're stetched out they're usually not cold.

#27 ·
Tyler lays curled up in his bed in the winter, all snuggled up, and stretched out on his tummy on the wood floors in the summer. I've never seen him shiver though and in the summer we refer to his position as "cooling his jets".

#30 ·
My second dog Cosmo, all white, LOVED to sun bath. every day at about 11am (roommate told me), he'd walk out to the deck and lay out in the sun. He taught my other female anatolian, Kara how to sun bath. She still does it to this day.

I wouldn't take a nose temp as a sole indicator of anything.

#31 ·
LOL. Too many funny comments on my sweater buying:)!!! They are hard to resist, especially her new ones!

I don't think a dog will whine or cry when they are cold. My guys will just shiver. Bella shivers if the temperature drops under 70 degrees!

Laurie, if you keep you bedroom at 60, I think Laila could use a sweater. She is so skinny and small. Sometimes, I can't see them shiver, but if I touch their legs, I can feel it.

I read if a dog is cold, they will often curl up like the picture above and tuck their nose into their fur.

#32 ·
On the few occasions that he is actually cold at night, Ceylon will burrow under the covers. Mostly he prefers to be on top of the covers, even when it's chilly enough in the room to make me shiver if I am not burrowed under lol. I guess I figure two things: 1) dogs are generally more resilient than us frail humans, and 2) Cey, at least, will either a) do something about it, or b) let me know, if it really is too cold for him :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.