Havanese Forum banner

Need some advice on chew sticks..

5K views 48 replies 23 participants last post by  queryne 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been meaning to come on and introduce myself officially but unfortunately (as most of you know) with a new puppy there's not a lot of free time! Intro coming later.... but in the meantime, my little guy(Leo) is not easily distracted. He wants to be with us all the time and seems to prefer nothing more than spending time with us. I'm looking for advice on chew sticks that might keep him busy for a little. I've been on the forum for the while and have pretty much tried most of the suggestions mentioned:

Himalayan chews - he doesn't like them (despite the fact it seems most Havs LOVE them)

Nylabone dura chews - flavored and unflavored - he had zero interest.

Stuffed Kong - work fine for the most part.. but I'd l

Antlerz - i bought 3 of them, he only likes 1 and basically ignors the other 2.

The only things that seem to keep him busy that he goes NUTS for are bully sticks but I only want to give those to him once in a blue moon.

Anyone else has have a picky Hav? What works for your Hav? Help!
I'm throwing in a picture for good measure. Once you see that adorable face you'll most definitely want to help. Lol!

Corinne

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Wow... you guys just reminded me that I bought a hoof for him when he first got here. He seemed afraid of it so i removed it. I just dug it up and gave it to him and so far success! He just rubbed his body all over it and is happily chewing on it! Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm definitely going to look into pig ears and cow ears. I hadn't even considered those! Do you guys just pick them up at your local pet store or is there a certain website you purchase them from?

#14 ·
Hi Queryne. You are right, that is one cute little face, and I can certainly understand why you want to please him. I think one challenge of having a cute little Havanese is to not fall into spoiling them. They are so dang cute you just want to give them treats all day long. My little boy, age 7 months, loves bully sticks and pig ears the best. How come you don't want to give him too many bully sticks? Just wondering. They seem harmless enough, and he usually gets a few of those a week, plus a pigs ear. I'm sure you'll figure it out. :)
--Eileen

#15 ·
Our Isabelle loves everything so I really can't help with the picky part. I do give her lamb ears. They are white, softer and smaller than the pig ears. I also give her a 5 inch porkhide twist stick. I buy in bulk online from bullysticks.com. 50 lamb ears for $54 and 50 twist sticks for $11. I'm sure there are other sites that offer the same for similar prices. Good luck finding something that works for you.

#16 ·
Thanks for chiming in Cap and Eileen.

Eileen to answer your question iv'e heard from lots of folks that bully sticks can be upsetting to their stomaches. I wish i could give it to him more i'd like to be careful. I wish he had more interest in something flavored and non-edible like Nylabone but of course that's not the case.

I am going to see how the hoof treats him. Stay tuned...

#17 ·
OMG! Lovin' me some Leo!!!! He's absolutely gorgeous!!! I got just the thing for you! Moose antler!!! Check out Acadia Antler....they have nice size samplers called "tasters" perhaps? They cost $5.00 Each. My girls don't like deer antlers, but adore the moose antler! And they last quite awhile!

#23 ·
I make marrow bones for Lily. Choose ones that are thick so they don't splinter. I bake them at 200 for 1 hour, let them cool then remove the marrow. Store them in the freezer. Lily will chew on them for an hour. She gets one if we go out for dinner as a special treat for being left behind. She will pull one out of her toy box every once in a while. She also LOVES bully sticks. I get them at the holistic dog store in my town.

#24 ·
Be careful of anything that might splinter. Mine loved bully sticks, pig ears and now because I haven't bought them anything new for awhile finally like the nila bones they had when they were little . It took them two years so don't throw any thing away! Maddie was never very interested in the bones in tell her sister came.

#25 ·
Linda: wow those knee caps look great. He'd probably LOVE those but I'd want to try one to see how it goes before i commit to a large box.. Kind of pricey! I'll look into that.

NvonS: LOVE THIS IDEA.. a good thick bone that won't splinter.. I think he'd really get into. I will try this and see how it goes. Do you get these at a butcher or just at the grocery store?

Suzi: he won't be getting anything like bully sticks and pig ears without supervision, no worries there. Man i HOPE he starts to like the Nyla bones because I have about 6 of them which he refuses to touch! I'm going to hold on to them in the hopes he changes his mind.. Good advice..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.