Havanese Forum banner

International Coach

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  The Laughing Magpie 
#1 ·
Well we're here in the UK. Had to come over early due to a death in my husband's family. Very tragic story, 22nd year old niece died on Christmas night. She had a heart transplant at the age of 10 weeks (youngest heart transplant at that time in Britain) and was the longest survivor from that era. Her heart finally gave out, devastating for all who loved her. Such a loss.

So we had to fly on NY Eve, Coach couldn't fly out or land on NY day so he got here yesterday (the 3rd). I can't imagine doing the whole thing without the relocation folks. The amount of paperwork and coordination was daunting. We had to change planes due to mechanical problems; I would have been way to stressed if he had been on our plane. I was already a nervous wreck all day when we were waiting to hear that he landed and was ok.

He was really stressed when we picked him up at the pet center at Heathrow, but within an hour or two was his old self (although very hungry and won't let us out of his site). He even found the new bells on the back door and has rung them several times to go out and pee and poop. Such a smart boy.

Hoping to get in some good walks; the town is lovely and everything is in walking distance. Found a good pet store with high quality food that he likes. Hear there is a great park near by and even a few dog friendly pubs. Gotta love that.

We're settling in, spent the last three days putting together IKEA furniture, I'm way too old for this... my back is killing me. But considering other's plights right now I can't complain.

~Laura

See less See more
#3 ·
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your niece. So young.

Is this a permanent move to the UK? Glad you all made it OK and that Coach is settling in. Please post photos. The UK is one place that I would really like to see. But I have all these pets now and doubt I will ever get there, so I need LOTS of photos! :D

#4 ·
sorry for the bad news. So you've moved to the U.K. Hope everything settles in for you.

#5 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about your niece! It's good that you already had everything worked out for Coach, though! We want to see lots of pictures of him as an "English Gent"!

#6 ·
Thanks for the kind thoughts. Yes, we moved here for about 4 months. A short term assignment for my husband. He's actually a Brit, but that doesn't really apply to this job thing but does give him time back in his country and a chance to see his brother.

We were looking forward to it as an adventure, didn't think it would start out so sad.

I will post some pictures! I'll probably have to get him a proper English jacket or such. Looking forward to our first ride in the train too.

#7 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about your niece. This July will be the 24th anniversary of my husband's heart transplant. No matter what, it is hard when a young person doesn't get to be an old person. Hope the family finds some peace and blessing in knowing she had 22 years she wouldn't have had . . . but that will take some time, for sure.
Enjoy jolly Old England and keep the pics coming!!

#8 ·
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your niece. I can imagine dealing with putting furniture together is not so fun, but four months together without the old distractions...discovering new favorites it's romantic if you think about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.