Havanese Forum banner

Heart stopping video...

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  The Fussy Puppy Gang 
#1 ·
I know many of us Hav and other small breed owners are wary of the local raptor population, but this really put the fear of nature in me. Thank goodness we don't live in golden eagle territory or I would never be able to relax outdoors with Pepper - or any of our small dogs!

Eagle Tries to Snatch Child

The blurb that accompanies the video says some folks think it's fake, but it sure looks real to me.

#3 · (Edited)
Yikes! One day last summer, I had Augie out to potty - I take him out on a leash. A woman with a Shih Tzu had her dog out, off leash, going potty. There was a ditch separating us, but we were talking back and forth. A huge bird flew over us, and back over us, several times, until we both got very nervous and picked up our dogs. The bird then left. She said it was an Eagle. This happened another time, later, when I had Augie out alone.

Then a couple of weeks ago, where we take the dogs out to potty, were the remains of what looked like might have been a raccoon. Intestines, stomach, claws, hair. Totally gross. Have no idea what got it. Coyote? I do know several neighborhood cats have disappeared over the years.

#4 ·
I've had eagles circling checking Gemma out before. We have a lot of eagles around here and I always keep a look out and watch the dogs if i see them perched in the trees or circling. I also saw a stout (looks like a white ferret) peeking out from under my garage that seemed to be sizing her up as well; they are known to eat rabbits and I wouldn't put it past them to try and eat a small dog. Then my neighbour told me they spotted a Lynx cat in the ravine behind the house! That thing could do some major damage to both my dogs!

#5 ·
Yes, I haven't worried about hawks since Kodi was a pup... he's simply too big for them. And Bald Eagles are mostly fish eaters. But Golden Eagles are HUGE and do hunt mammals. I would be concerned about them if we lived in their range... fortunately, we don't. We "only" have Coyotes (MUCH more brazen than hawks and eagles) and Fishers to worry about.:(

#9 ·
...But Golden Eagles are HUGE and do hunt mammals. I would be concerned about them if we lived in their range... fortunately, we don't. We "only" have Coyotes (MUCH more brazen than hawks and eagles) and Fishers to worry about.:(
I had to look up an image of Fishers, had no idea what they were! Still not sure, they look like weasels? Are they a potential threat to small (Hav-sized) pets?

We definitely have coyotes. I encountered two last week while walking Kaiser (our white GSD). One was face-to-face. It was startled out of I-don't-know-where by a loud muffler and it dashed up to within 10-feet of us, paused a second or two, then took off. Kaiser went crazy, almost took my arm off trying to chase it. Two days later we came across another, bigger one, on the same street. This time though we spotted it while still maybe 150 feet away. It was drinking from the gutter, looked up and saw us, and continued drinking before calmly crossing the street into the open field. Again Kaiser went crazy trying to give chase.

Despite my abused shoulder socket, I was so glad I was with Kaiser and not one of our small dogs!

Personally I still think the video is genuine, especially when you realize the kid is wearing an outfit with an animal-shaped head cover, complete with ears. As for bilingual swearing, my mom swears in English more often than she does in Japanese. :rant:

#6 ·
Back to the video, fortunately, the child looks like they were OK, and they are too young to remember the incident. Can you imagine the psychic scars on the PARENTS?!?! I don't think I'd ever let my kid outdoors again!!!

#8 ·
I didn't see anything in the article that definitively decides the issue one way or the other... just a lot of opinions. As far as the guy swearing in English then reverting to French... I have many foreign speaking friends perfectly capable of swearing fluently in English.:) Since many people in Montreal are bilingual, this didn't seem like something that would brand the video as fake or legit.

If the bird is truly not a Golden Eagle, that would convince me that it was a fake. But the person who posted that info was only listed as an "internet expert". Anyone can be an expert on the internet.

All the above, of course, doesn't change the issue that Golden Eagles COULD be a legitimate danger to dogs the size of ours.

Reactions: Katiemom
#14 ·
yeah can't trust those Canadians. :pound:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.