Havanese Forum banner

Downton Abbey!

13K views 121 replies 36 participants last post by  sandypaws 
#1 ·
One more day until the new season of Downton Abbey! :peace: We rewatched some of the last episodes of last season so we are ready to go! Any other fans?

#67 ·
I kind of wish they would just show the episodes 1 hour at a time each Sunday.... it would make the season last a bit longer. Last week and this week it has been 2 hours an episode.
So, what do you like to snack on during the show? LOL I have a bowl of chocolate icecream with crushed salted pretzles on top...not very British like is it?

#70 ·
What really?? I wish I was more prepared for that!! I loved Matthew!! I can't stop crying. Ugh! After the loss of Cybil, this just isn't good or fair and it is way too much doom and gloom! I need some freaking happiness going on when I watch some TV! Get a clue PBS! I'm not so sure I will watch the next season. I have enough drama and doom and gloom that I have to deal with! At least give us some more good stuff we can feel good and hopeful about!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#71 · (Edited)
I knew he wanted to leave and I figured they would just get another actor.
Saw 60 Minutes interview with Maggie Smith last evening. The show's creator says he will never allow Dowager Countess to pass away, even if the actress does. They'd move the DC to sea or something.

I'll bet Anna Bates will be blamed by Mary. It was Anna's idea to get the car to the station so Matthew could drive himself. A poor idea when he was on such an emotional high with his newborn in mind.

#72 ·
We were talking abut Downton Abbey at my coffee group a couple of weeks or so ago. And about the sadness of Sybil's death. And one of the gals said - there is more to come, meaning sadness. I had read of 'Matthew's' wanting to leave the show, although I can't imagine why any actor wouldn't want to stay and savor the success and family atmosphere of working on that show. So I figured it was him that they were going to 'kill' off, but what an awful, awful way to do it - well I guess any way would be awful - for a well liked character - I kept waiting for him to get shot on that hunting trip. Yeah, what is this going to do to Mary??? She was already becoming a total witch to everyone but Matthew. She probably WILL blame Anna. And I wonder what will happen with Downton, as he was the one spearheading the changes to make it financially stable. I guess maybe it opens up more avenues as far as storyline. Since it has become so popular, I would think they would want it to carry on as long as possible. I want it to carry on as long as possible. :) I agree with the person who posted above - I would prefer hour-long shows so it would last longer. But last night did not last two hours here. I think it was closer to an hour and a half. After the show ended, then they showed some castle history or something that we had seen before and did not watch again. Now we have to wait a whole year????? ARGH!

#73 ·
Maybe, down the road a bit, they will put Mary with Tom Branson - Sybil's husband......... And does anyone else think that maybe Bates did kill his first wife? I didn't see any sign of weird looks last night, but before, there would be certain looks that crossed his face, and signs in prison that he was one character you wouldn't want to mess with, that made me wonder.

#75 ·
Season 4 - Spoiler Alert !!!

So apparently Mrs O'Brien won't be back for season 4.....

They don't say why she is not returning or how she is written off only that it is an open ending - maybe she went to work for Shrimpy and wife in India ?

Also they say season 4 is going to be set six months in advance...

#83 ·
So apparently Mrs O'Brien won't be back for season 4.....

They don't say why she is not returning or how she is written off only that it is an open ending - maybe she went to work for Shrimpy and wife in India ?

Also they say season 4 is going to be set six months in advance...
Oops, I did not see this when I posted a repeat after you had posted this information about O'Brien! Sorry... :)

#76 ·
I hope PBS will figure out how to air this show in the Fall for the US, the same time it airs in the UK.

Also, I read the book about the story of the real Downton Abbey (Highclere) and the Lady and Lord who actually lived there - so interesting and it filled the void after the last episode.

#77 ·
Well, I was certainly upset that they killed off Matthew! My DH thinks they should have gotten another actor and I think I agree. After all, they hadn't been married that long and after Sybil's death it just seems too much sadness. Surely the next season won't be next year? Does anyone know for sure when it is supposed to air? Don't think I can wait a whole year.......haha

#78 ·
Kathie, I believe I read recently where they will start filming soon, to be aired in the fall in the UK, and after the first of next year in the US. I don't like that they killed off Matthew either - seems like too much after Sybil dying. But I don't know as I would have liked another actor coming in to replace him either. They just should have hogtied Dan Stevens and told him he wasn't leaving! Haha

#84 ·
I've not read the thread because I don't want to read any spoilers. I just started watching this series, mainly because I've heard it was good. I actually knew nothing of the premise at all.

So, this should give you all a good chuckle.

I've consistently misread the series title as "Downtown Abbey". Honestly, I was expecting a show about some girl named Abbey who worked downtown (maybe similar to Sex in the City sort of thing). So, I was a bit taken aback when a decidedly period piece showed up on my screen. I kept watching and wondering who the heck Abbey was and why she hadn't been introduced yet. Then I was wondering what the heck everyone was talking about when they mentioned "Daunton".

For the first episode the biggest hi-lights for me were seeing Ygrette from Game of Thrones and Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter.

By episode 2 I realized I was mis-reading the series title and that "Downton Abbey" was the name of the house! That's as far as I've seen. I'm still not sure if I'm liking it or not. I'll finish watching season 1 and see. I'm sure most of my problem is just that I was expecting something a lot different, cuz I'm a dolt!!

#85 ·
:pound::pound::pound: Thanks for the chuckle, Tracy! :) I have no doubt that a lot of people probably wouldn't find this to be their cup of tea. I love period pieces, especially the costumes, and learning about the customs of the time. I also think the lack of commercial interruption has been part of the appeal. Please weigh in, after you have watched more, with your impressions.

#86 ·
Just a few more months and we'll be seeing Downton Abbey again! -

From Entertainment Weekly... Paul Giamatti is joining the cast!

Sideways‘ star Paul Giamatti will appear as Cora’s playboy brother, Harold, in the season four finale, a rep for MASTERPIECE on PBS confirms.
He’ll be joined by returning guest-star Shirley MacLaine, who crossed the pond to play Cora’s brazen mother, Martha Levinson, in season three.
“We’re excited that Paul Giamatti will be joining us on Downton to play Cora’s brother Harold, the rather free-spirited uncle to Mary and Edith. We can’t wait to see him work alongside Shirley MacLaine, who are both sure to upset the Grantham’s apple cart in this year’s finale,” Exec producer Gareth Neame said in a statement.

Giamatti is hardly the only new face joining the series — next season will introduce a slew of castmembers including Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, Tom Cullen, Julian Ovenden, Nigel Harman, Joanna David and Gary Carr.
Season four of the series will kick-off on January 5, 2014 on MASTERPIECE on PBS."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.