Havanese Forum banner

She is so happy to see me she wees

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Kathie 
#1 ·
I let her out at 1 am and then I went to get her out at 7 am. As soon as I opened her crate she was so happy to see me she wanted to be scratch and then she rolled over to be scratched on her belly too. I realized she was rolling in wetness. I right aways continued with taking her out and she tried to pee more outside and did no.2. Is it common for puppies/dogs to pee from excitement? How can I help prevent it. She is not spayed yet and 6 1/2 months. She was not barking to be taken for potty and I feel she mostly let go because she was so happy to see me. Is this normal and should she outgrow it over time?

#3 ·
That type of thing happened to us a couple of days ago. We were gone seven hours with the dog door available but I'm not sure she ever went out during that time. The full bladder and the excitement was just too much, I guess. Abby is five! The only other time she does stress peeing is when I retrieve her from under the table where she hidee when it is bath time. Thank goodness McGee doesn't do it! I think some are just more high strung than others. When greeting it is better to ignore until they calm down - a little hard to do, though!

#7 · (Edited)
(well sometimes he poops from excitement).
Now I did not want to know that. LOL I guess a sense of humor is a good thing to have.:jaw:

Great article Dave! I definitely did not reprimand her for peeing and I think she did not even notice so hopefully I did not reinforce the behavior. As for hoovering, that is hard not to as I was trying to take her potty and I was hooking the leash into the harness. We also got our puppy at a slightly older age like Abby.

The good news is that this morning she could care less that I got out of bed at 7 to take her potty. She was pretty engrossed with her cow ear. I had DH take her out of her crate as she growls when she has chews like that. When I did take her potty she right aways did one and two. Now she is back to her cow ear. No peeing but also no time to say hi to me. LOL

#5 ·
#6 ·
Great article, Dave! Unfortunately, Abby was like that when we got her at 8 mos. so we have no idea if it was caused by earlier trauma or what. She also suffered from separation anxiety as well but that is okay now. When it comes to being combed she will eventually come to us but on her own terms! The antics we put ourselves through to encourage look pretty ridiculous but it works! The bath time is the only one where I finally just have to pull her out from under the table but just ignore the pee. We seem to be doing all the right things but just not always working. We have never yelled at her or been threatening towards her so I tend to think her problems were from an early trauma. She is much better than she was but I'm not sure she will ever be completely normal (whatever that is!). She is a bit of a marker, too.

#9 ·
My last dog (a Sheltie) lived to be 15. For all those years, she peed with excitement only when ONE person visited -- and she was a nearly grown daughter of my best friend. She ia a wonderful person who is very loving towards all animals and she rarely visited, but when she did, Bess always left a puddle!!
Here's a pic of my sweet Bess (just because I can).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.