Havanese Forum banner

Hair growth progress

92K views 442 replies 69 participants last post by  Laurmann2000 
#1 · (Edited)
I shaved down Louis completely on May 12, 2012. His body was done with a #7 (3.2mm or 1/8"). His face was done with a #10 reverse, ears with a #10 with the grain.

I will take pictures of him weekly to track his hair growth.
Here is what we started with:

Attachments

See less See more
#151 ·
Week 24

Louis is looking slightly like a mess... we have been busy traveling this weekend. He had fun RLH in the hotel room. I have started to band his hair in double bands. He's managing to keep them in!

I got another comment last week about his size. My friend said "This is the perfect size dog. If I had a dog, I would want him to be like this" while pointing to Louis. She continued, "NOT like this size.... this horse..." while she tried to shove my poodle's head out of her face. My poodle is very big for a standard anyway. As we drove home from our trip and Louis laid in my lap sleeping, my husband said "You really love his size, huh?" I said how I sometimes wish my poodle was Louis's size lol. But then that would mean I'd have a mini poodle. I love poodles, but some of the minis feel very dainty. I love how solid and sturdy Louis feels.

Attachments

#154 ·
OMG he is adorable...please, please don't ever shave him down again.
My internet has been down and I have been reading this on and off all day.........
One of the most interesting theads ever....thank you so much for posting all of these pictures and info.

I am going to get Izzy and Stella groomed next week...wish I lived near you.
Estelle

#158 ·
Reading on my iPhone can be a pain so I skipped from first page to page 11...total different dog!
Love the bands. I am trying those some on Bama and don't have the hang of it yet. Found mini scrunchie type ones are easier than the plain rubber ones. Will have to take pictures.

#160 ·
Week 26

The bangs are getting long and making Louis look like a mess! He's really not that dirty but looks like he's been living on the streets.

I posted a pic of his underside. The hair is getting long and you can see yellow spots where the pee has been hitting the hair. There's a spot close to his chest, on the sides of his penis, and on his inner thighs. He has very good aim, it's just that the hair is getting long! I used thinning shears to take those areas a tad shorter.

Attachments

#161 ·
Louis has had many different looks but I always think he is so cute! I love this picture yuo posted where he is on his side and looking at you with one eye. I've got a little one that does that to me and it is so sweet. I just had my little 10 month old guys shaved except for heads and tails, so it looks like I will have a good long while of short cuts. Thanks for posting!

#163 ·
lol no way Louis can be embarrassed. It's all to catalog his journey in hair growth. This is stuff people should know, long hair is pretty, but it gets dirty! Here's a pic I took today after his bath - you can't even tell he has a face. His muzzle hair is looking nice.

Attachments

#164 ·
awww louis is gorgeous! It looks like the hair is beginning to part on his back too. You could cheat and shave or cut close a bit of his undercarriage for the pee issue. we keep the boys in puppy cuts-- but we keep the undercarriage cut to about a 1/4 inch up until the underarms. it helps with rain, snow and sand too.

#165 ·
Week 27

His hair is starting to part down his back! I guess that means his hair is getting long enough to be weighed down. I will have to do the undercarriage shave if he keeps peeing on his hair or if it rains a lot. He mats up on his rump and armpits, and some small mats on his chest and his neck (because of his collar, although he only wears it on walks).

I attached some pics of him hanging out with his friend! They were so cute together because of the similar color and markings. His friend is a shih tzu.

Attachments

#167 ·
A little more than 6 months growth, that is such a long time. That is like having a 6 months break on combing out each day. I am so glad you are keeping up with the hair project. Your project gives us an idea how long it will take to grow out a hair cut.

#171 ·
Week 28

Oops! I almost forgot to post pics! I was very busy yesterday. I adopted a cat and trying to get him settled in.

You can see the pic of Louis's loooong eyelashes! I hope they keep growing!

Louis could care less there was a cat around lol, he was more interested in the cat bed.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.