Havanese Forum banner

tongue flicking

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Suzi 
#1 ·
Hey collective havanese brain trust:

I've noticed my 1/2 hav Ollie pop, the last 4-6 wks, he intermittently has this uncontrollable tongue flicking thing, seems like he's got something he's trying to get out of his mouth, but there isn't anything to get out... He doesn't do it all the time, and it seems random.

thoughts? I know my vet will think I'm crazy, and none of my big dogs have done this, so I don't know.

thx in advance.

#2 ·
Bella, who is 5 years old, has done that. If it's the same thing, Bella will do this when she has a sore throat/allergy problems or when she's anxious. If she's anxious, a gentle stroking on the top of her head will help--she seems to do this in the middle of the night so I just reach over and comfort her. But pain will also cause it.

And after she eats and I wipe her beard with a napkin, she'll do that if she still has some food caught in the fur. Hope this helps!

#6 ·
yep ,what's the antecedent, ? What's the rest of his body language. Could be stress , which might not be of concern depending on how often.

#5 ·
Mine have done that if there is a piece of kibble caught in their beard or between their teeth and their cheek and they can't get it. Tyler did it, big time, when he hit his mouth coming up the stairs and knocked out three of his front top teeth and had a bloody mouth. So I guess it could be food, stress and/or pain. I know that doesn't help much, but it's all I've got.

#7 ·
Kodi has done this a couple of times. I looked in his mouth and didn't see anything. The next time, I realized that he had a tiny piece of his beard caught between his teeth and was trying to get it loose. I suspect that it was something similar the first time too... Something very small, that I didn't notice, but that was bothering his teeth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.