Havanese Forum banner

Very Worried

11K views 90 replies 52 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
Our hananese Loki is 10 weeks old and we have had him two weeks. Yesterday he became lethargic. He was no better today. My husband took him to the vet this morning. He does not have parvovirus, or any type of parasite or worm. They cannot find anything wrong and have now given him a blood transfusion. They told us it was a 50/50 chance of surviving the night. Has anyone else experienced this with a new pup?

#64 ·
I'm so glad to hear this! It is a shame what happened to your first pup, but I'm sure you and the girls will fall in love with this one quickly!:)

#65 ·
A phantom is like a ghost, which seems like a funny name for a mostly black puppy. On the other hand, a lot of breeders use "themes" for each litter. So if she were using "Phantom of the Opera" or something as the theme for the litter, that might be why she chose that name for him.

#66 · (Edited)
Phantom is a coloration pattern, I know there are phantom poodles..this from the web

"The term "phantom poodle" does not refer to a specific breed or size of poodle, only to its color and markings. Phantom poodles are bi-colored, with the same markings as a Doberman. That is, they have a lighter color appearing on their "eyebrows," muzzle and throat, legs and feet and below their tail. For a dog to be classified as a phantom it must have all the markings of a Dobie. Phantom poodles come in various color combinations. Black can be combined with apricot, brown, cream, gray, red and silver. Brown and red can both be combined with apricot"

#70 ·
Interesting. I've never heard that term in relation to Havanese, though.

I thought she meant the breeder was calling the PUPPY "Phantom"... not the COLOR! :brick: :pound:

#73 ·
Wow! That's wonderful!! You may have to be careful not to experience emotional whiplash! Really, it kind of sounded like you are having a few mixed emotions when you said, "The girls are thrilled." Here's hoping that this is all good for all of you. Wish I could see a picture.

#77 ·
glad you're back and hope to see some pictures.

#79 ·
Pics

Let's see if this picture comes through this time. To answer your questions: both vets did every test known and found nothing. They both decided that it could liver shunt or something congenital that should have happened well before six weeks. We must have been a little fighter.

We can tell a big difference in size of Charlie and Loki and playfulness. You all have been such a big help and thanks for the info on what phantom means. I sure hope this pic comes through.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.