Havanese Forum banner

Finally - grooming success!!

4K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  TilliesMom 
#1 ·
:whoo:My grooming arm & loop arrived today. Talk about a 100% turnaround in grooming Kallie! Instead of trying to eat both my hand & the brush/comb, she was actually giving me kisses tonight! I spent about 10 minutes working on her before she was done with it. I used the cornstarch on the mats. I had also ordered The Stuff, a conditioning grooming spray. Between the two I managed to get her tangle free from her head to chest, back & sides & 3 legs. I used a combo of CC buttercomb, wood pin brush & small slicker brush. Can you see me doing the happy dance? I didn't want to push her any farther tonight. I'll get leg 4 & her bottom tomorrow, along with another total comb out. Now if I could only figure out how to get her belly.

#7 ·
if you are playing with her on the floor, keep the brush handy & treats. once you start rubbing her belly get the brush and even if its only one brush stroke at first it gets her use to it. it is a tricky spot to do thoroughly

#9 ·
As I've mentioned, Kodi does NOT like being groomed lying down. I stand him on my grooming surface, put my forearm under his front legs, and gently guide him into a position where he is standing on his hind legs. In this position, he lets me groom his tummy without difficulty.

For further forward on his chest, I do it by lifting one foreleg at a time and pulling it gently forward. This gives me access to that area, just as it would if the dog were lying down.

#11 ·
yea! Keep practicing having her lay on your lap on her back and just pet her. That was one of the first things we did in puppy class. We passed the puppy's around to everyone in the class. It is suppose to teach something. I think submissiveness ?

#12 ·
I can get through most of her belly standing up, then lift her up by her front legs. However with a matted belly that doesn't work as you only have 1 hand and end up tugging on a sensitive area. I can lie her on her side fairly well now but used to not be able to. Since she didn't let me lie her down on my table, I tried my bed and she was much happier with that, and then I was able to transition to table but some dogs just don't tolerate it. Also among the groomers Les Poochs Mat Zapper is a great tool, I've used it and it's very efficient but it will set you back some $80 or so.

#15 ·
Mat Zapper?

Hi, We are desperate for some grooming success!
What's the technique with the mat zapper?
Rosie Tomato really hates grooming, but just grows mats seemingly within seconds of being detangled. She'll be 2 on Monday so I don't think it's more blowing coat.
I have been using a dematting tool (the rake goes to the side rather than forwards) since she was a few months. Could using this have done damage to her coat and cause more matting? Additionally, she is a working dog and has to wear her harness all day at work. I think this causes more knots under her arms too. Her coat is about 2" long except the tail.
I have tried Ice on Ice. The popular CC buttercomb does not get far through her coat. I was thinking I need a better pin brush and am ordering the CC 20mm Gold. It also looks like a wood pin brush might be helpful. Now I'm wondering about the Mat Zapper. This is becoming a pricey proposition!
Thanks so much for your help!
Debbie

#16 ·
Rosie Tomato really hates grooming, but just grows mats seemingly within seconds of being detangled. She'll be 2 on Monday so I don't think it's more blowing coat.
I have been using a dematting tool (the rake goes to the side rather than forwards) since she was a few months. Could using this have done damage to her coat and cause more matting? Additionally, she is a working dog and has to wear her harness all day at work. I think this causes more knots under her arms too. Her coat is about 2" long except the tail.
I have tried Ice on Ice. The popular CC buttercomb does not get far through her coat. I was thinking I need a better pin brush and am ordering the CC 20mm Gold. It also looks like a wood pin brush might be helpful. Now I'm wondering about the Mat Zapper. This is becoming a pricey proposition!
Debbie
Have you tried cornstarch? I went to the dollar store and got a Parmesan shaker and put the cornstarch in that. It really does help get the mats out. You have to use a generous amount though

#18 ·
Debbie
Are you sure you are getting all the mats out while combing? You need to do small sections at a time. I have been surprised when I thought I had them all out and while drying find more. Wood pin brushed don't do much for mats. They help keep the static down for a finish brushing.
I'm surprised the comb you have doesn't get far enough in to the coat. Zoey has a very thick coat and has been a pain but my comb is my major tool. I hardly ever even use my pin brush. I picked out the pin brush at a show with a very knowledgeable breeder and she said you don't want it to hurt your arm. That's what i would have troubles with ordering on line . You really cant feel the stiffness. My favorite comb is actually my small one 4 or 5 inches long. I work in sections starting at the bottom and pulling down the next layer of hair. The amount of hair I'm able to hold and bring down slowly isn't very much more than about 3 inches wide and I can see the skin. Even with thick coated havanese you can still see the shin. If its all one huge mat then you need to get professorial help or plan to spend hours slowly getting them out. s It sounds like you are not combing right. And you keep buying tools to help make it easier:) Like I said my major tool is my small comb and it was bought at a pet store for about $12 Maybe you could take her to a groomer and have them show you. I had a havanese breeder show me from start to finish when I was showing Zoey at about 6mo old. She likes the slicker brush the best. Zoey. is just over two years old and is just recently getting easier.
Another thing I just recently figured out is I wasn't rinsing out the conditioner as well as I should. And i'm staying away from any products that have a build up it just makes since that product build up is a factor in more mating. Sorry this is so long but I hope you learn to use the comb you have and stop buying everything that you think will make life easier to groom.:)
Or you will end up with too many tools that you never use.
:):)

#20 ·
Now if I could only figure out how to get her belly.
I stand Kodi up, supporting him with one hand just behind his front legs to comb out his belly.

#22 ·
in my opinion you should not be using a slicker brush at all. at least if blowing coat is done.
That may be rough on her skin as well as damaging her coat...

Get a Chris Christensen #005 buttercomb, go easy on the ice on ice, instead get a regular squirt bottle squirt some conditioner and then fill the rest with water, spray lightly as you comb her getting the tines on the comb ALL the way to her skin.
Ditch the brush. and commit to thouroughly combing her out every.single. evening.
If that isn't realistic have her shaved down and start with fresh coat growth!
None of us enjoy the way they look shaved down, but sometimes it is the best thing to do. and remember, hair always GROWS! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.