Havanese Forum banner

at the end of my rope...

29K views 189 replies 52 participants last post by  Suzi 
#1 ·
... hey guys.
It's been a rough couple of months for us with Tillie and her health.
She has developed this horrible trembling that happens frequently, we can no longer take her in the car, she is a nervous WRECK in the car. and now she has started trembling at all other times of the day as well. I have taken her to the vet, he can't find anything wrong. She had the infection/crystals in her urine about 2 months ago... Honestly, she is stressing me out so much.
She isn't the same dog. I don't know what is going on.
I have been thinking and I thought maybe she just needs more one on one time, more attention as I have been busier than usual recently. So, over the past fews days I have been making a huge point of playing games, training, playing fetch, etc. I thought maybe it was helping as she has seemed happier today... Well, tonight, she pee'd on my sons bed. She hasn't done that since her infection. My husband is IRATE. insists it is behavioral and because she had an infection when we got her pet insurance, it won't cover any urinary issues. We can't afford another vet bill, he says business as 'usual' and that we have plans and that she can't interfere with our plans.
I fear if things aren't resolved soon, he may make me rehome her.
I can't believe I am even confessing all of this. Tillie has always been my light, my companion, our joy... and something is wrong. I have been saying it for weeks and weeks and no one will listen to me. The kids insist they hate her .... she has become fearful and aggressive. I KNOW she has to be in pain, something is seriously wrong, yet nothing can be found ... I haven't wanted to come here and tell you all what has been happening because I feel like I have failed. I have failed Tillie, I have failed myself and my kids.
I just don't know what to do. There is something wrong, I know it. For her to pee on the bed again tonight. I know she has an infection or the crystals are back ... she is trying to TELL me something. I want to take her to the vet tomorrow, but we have out of town plans and because of her recent fear of the car we can't take her with us, so a friend is going to come over mid day to let her out and play with her for a bit, but how can I leave her knowing there is something wrong and that she needs to go to the vet.. and then we run into Christmas.... my husband insists that we have plans and that Tillie isn't going to change those plans and that we can't afford another vet bill.
I don't know why I am telling you all this, I guess I just needed to vent to those that I know understand my heartbreak and frustration. I just don't know what to do and I miss my little girl so much... I haven't seen her smile in months....

See less See more
#120 ·
lol, thanks everyone!
YES, no worries, we will surely be getting to the bottom of this. Her vet wanted to see her for more testing after the 2 weeks of the antibiotics.

lol, ya, she is feeling SO much better, while typing this post, she has stolen 2 polly pockets from under the Christmas tree and is now shredding a paper towel she thinks she sneakily snatched from me. (I let her have it. lol) :D

I have a sinking feeling we may need to change her diet. everything that I've read says that that is how/where the crystals form, because of a high protien diet... although BOTH her vet AND Sabine say NO, this is not what is happeneing...?

Anywho, thanks for always being there for us, crisis or celebration. Love you guys :)

#121 ·
Tammy - my last dog (sheltie) lived many years on Royal Canin S/I canned dog food after they found crystals in her urine. They've probably advanced beyond that by now, as that was many years ago. But, want you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers -- Tillie is special. Onward and upward in 2013!!

#123 ·
Tino had crystals in his urine shortly after we got him. I knew something was wrong--I saw a change in his behavior and I knew something was up. I know you know how worried I was--I second guessed everything and worried that it was something worse than it turned out to be. I worried that the behavior would persist after the cause of the problem was cleared up. But nope, as soon as he physically felt better he returned to himself and we picked up house training where we left off. He has done great ever since. Not crazy about feeding him Hill's food, but that's short term. Thinking I will need to get a urinalysis to make sure the crystals are cleared before adjusting his diet to a better quality food.

Anyway, all this is to say that I'm so glad tillie is feeling better and returning to herself! That is the best news!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#125 ·
I guess I have been away from the Forum for longer than I thought. I just read this whole thread and am glad I found out Tillie is responding to the antibiotics.

About the morning shaking, besides the pain and possible White Shaker Dog Syndrome as possibilities, is it possible that Tillie feels a little chilled after coming from her nice warm bed to the morning air?

My dogs are in full coat and have not needed anything extra this winter (except when it's raining), but when they had puppy cuts they wore sweaters or jackets outside which stopped them from shivering.

Our two fosters (Blueberry and Layla) have really short hair, so I have been dressing them up in jackets or sweaters when going outside, and they seem much less reluctant to walk outside than on days when they didn't wear them. Just a thought....

Happy New Year, Tammy!

Photos below: Blueberry as a Reindeer, Layla and Blue sharing a doggie bed, Blueberry standing with Buffy in our yard, and Blue (facing left), Buffy, and Buster (facing away) in their rain gear.

Attachments

#126 ·
I had the same reaction as Starr. The only good thing about coming to a thread like this late is you get to worry just a little bit less when things look like they're improving. I'm sending love and hugs your (and Tillie's) way. I hope the treatment is successful long term and that you get your sweet angel back again.

#128 ·
Tillie is doing okay. She came with us to a friends house New Years Eve and was a trembling wreck. :( She has always come with us and never had an issue before...?
I had brought her crate and put her in a few times for just a little bit (maybe 5-10 minutes) as I was sitting RIGHT next to her crate.
Well, when we were packing up to leave my husband discovered she had pee'd in her crate, on her bed! I brought her with us so we could (and did) take her out at least every hour or so... so now I am begining to think that peeing in not okay places is stress related? ... sigh.

She has 4 more days left on her antibiotics, then I need to make the follow up appt.

#133 ·
Tammy, I use peppermint essential oil a lot for Roki. It helped him to completely cure car sickness. It is safe for dogs and it calms them down, it is good for anxiety and stress. You need good quality peppermint essential oil. Put a drop or two on cotton ball an put it in Tillie's crate when you feel she will be under stress. Some aromatherapist for dogs even rub diluted peppermint into paw pads. Dilution ratio is 10 drops odf carrier oil (almond, jojoba...) and one drop of peppermint. It really works. I also put in his grooming spray mixture because it is the most powerfull natural insecticide for fleas and ticks and it calms him so much that he falls asleep while brushing.
She would definitely benefit from Cher4Life Transfer Factor canine formula. It is not so expensive (around $40 for three months) and works miracles on immunity. It will strengthen her body so that it could fight better with that UTI. Roki was on it for six months. Wonderful results! Good natural vitamins/minerals coud help a lot too!
Roki was so fearful (running away from bigger dogs, shaking and drolling in car) when he was sick (yeast infection and pyodermatis) and now I can see HUGE improvement. Here is the link

http://www.cher4life.com/Products/Animal-Health.html

#135 ·
Tammy, I am glad you are following up with the vet. I am so sorry you are still dealing with this. I think you should also review behavior...both Tillie's and your families.

Both my boys went through, sort of a "fear stage" somewhere around 2 years old (a year apart as they are 6 and 7 years old now) I found nothing in the books or on here about a 2 year old fear stage, and my boys are as different as different can be, but both of them around 2 years old started to hesitate to do things they had always enjoyed. like going out back for Jasper, and walking around the neighborhood for Cash. Cash had some potty issues at this time as well, Jasper sank into what could only be described as a deep depression. After Vets (and forums) were consulted... we just buckled down and started re-potty training for Cash and re-socializing for them both. We spent more one on one time with each of them. Bringing them out and giving them more confidence. Since Jasper's happened first we knew what to do when it happened to Cash. We sort of figured out what set Jasper off, but never did figure out what frightened Cash. But they both came around within a few months of us re-working with them.

I have two thoughts as to why this happened in our house...one, at two, they are just so much more aware of everything, they are totally invested in "the pack" and that awareness and dependence can spark fear behavior...of change, or danger to the pack. and two, at the same time, the human pack is venturing out more and more now than puppyhood is over... the dogs spend more time alone...fewer walks(cause they can hold it)... less play time...we're all adults now!

It is exhausting, at 2 or 3 years old, cause you think the hard work is done and that you just get to enjoy them. But I have heard it said here that Havanese are soft dogs... they are very sensitive, and intuitive (even if their intuitiion is wrong) and a new pattern can be set off by the silliest thing or maybe a real thing.

are you overworked? are your kids out of the house more? is your husband stressed?
is Tillie being treated like the "family pet" last in line, when she used to be first?

I'm not saying Tillie should be first... but if you can figure out what has changed in her eyes maybe you can help her understand that it is ok...

I'm also not saying that a medical issue has nothing to do with it, but the more time that goes by the more I think there may be a temprement issue as well. And re-focusing on training and behavior can certainly do no harm.

#136 ·
Tammy, I am glad you are following up with the vet. I am so sorry you are still dealing with this. I think you should also review behavior...both Tillie's and your families.

Both my boys went through, sort of a "fear stage" somewhere around 2 years old (a year apart as they are 6 and 7 years old now) I found nothing in the books or on here about a 2 year old fear stage, and my boys are as different as different can be, but both of them around 2 years old started to hesitate to do things they had always enjoyed. like going out back for Jasper, and walking around the neighborhood for Cash. Cash had some potty issues at this time as well, Jasper sank into what could only be described as a deep depression. After Vets (and forums) were consulted... we just buckled down and started re-potty training for Cash and re-socializing for them both. We spent more one on one time with each of them. Bringing them out and giving them more confidence. Since Jasper's happened first we knew what to do when it happened to Cash. We sort of figured out what set Jasper off, but never did figure out what frightened Cash. But they both came around within a few months of us re-working with them.

I have two thoughts as to why this happened in our house...one, at two, they are just so much more aware of everything, they are totally invested in "the pack" and that awareness and dependence can spark fear behavior...of change, or danger to the pack. and two, at the same time, the human pack is venturing out more and more now than puppyhood is over... the dogs spend more time alone...fewer walks(cause they can hold it)... less play time...we're all adults now!

It is exhausting, at 2 or 3 years old, cause you think the hard work is done and that you just get to enjoy them. But I have heard it said here that Havanese are soft dogs... they are very sensitive, and intuitive (even if their intuitiion is wrong) and a new pattern can be set off by the silliest thing or maybe a real thing.

are you overworked? are your kids out of the house more? is your husband stressed?
is Tillie being treated like the "family pet" last in line, when she used to be first?

I'm not saying Tillie should be first... but if you can figure out what has changed in her eyes maybe you can help her understand that it is ok...

I'm also not saying that a medical issue has nothing to do with it, but the more time that goes by the more I think there may be a temprement issue as well. And re-focusing on training and behavior can certainly do no harm.
Here's something a friend of mine shared on FB earlier today, that goes along exactly with what you are saying, Missy! This is specifically addressing fear issues that can turn to aggression later, but I'm sure it includes ALL kinds of fear issues, and maturity in general. So many people think their "puppy" is all grown up when their body stops growing at about a year. But they have s-o-o-o much farther to go in terms of mental maturity.

"Reisner Veterinary Behavior & Consulting Services

Tuesday

Tuesday's Pearl: A dog's' brain matures more slowly than his body, and may not be "grown up" until 3 or 4 years of age. This is especially important when a puppy or young adult is fearful, because mature dogs are more likely to show their fear through aggression. If your young dog is skittish with strangers or especially sensitive to an older household dog, monitor and intervene sooner rather than later."

#138 ·
yes! thank you for your advice and encouragment!

After Christmas, I did realize that because of everything that has been going on I haven't been taking her anywhere, not even on walks because she would refuse to walk! So, yes, she was being left behind more and more over the past few months. Once I "woke up" and realized this we have all been working harder to include her in as much as we can. So much so that when we went to Costco the other night the kids were confused why Tillie wasn't coming with us. lol
I have been taking her with me to run errands and have discovered that as long as I keep the car under 40 mph she doesn't tremble or stress in the car. She is getting out of the house and being around people again, which she loves and I love having her with me. She HAD become 'just a dog' in the hustle and bustle of our crazy busy lives. :(
In fact I have said, more than once in the past few months that IF our lives would have been THIS busy and crazy 2-3 yrs ago, we probably never would have gotten a dog. Sad, yet true. :( I go back to work, kids go back to school on Tuesday and making time for Tillie will again be a struggle. But I am hopeful that I will at least be able to return to bring her with me to pick the kids up from school, which was ALWAYS a HUGE highlight of her day, but I had to stop doing because of her recent trembling and fear of the car... anywho. I need to call the vet on Monday and see when I can bring her in for a follow up and full blood work. BECAUSE I have also noticed she is getting chunky!! Her diet is and always has been the same... I am hoping it's just cause she hasn't had as much excerise as she has in the warmer months... anywho, so thankful to have all of you to talk with through all of this! :D

#139 ·
Tammy, you're such a good mom and fur mom. I know it was mentioned earlier on, but do have the vet check her thyroid levels. Especially with the weight gain along with everything else. If yourvet can draw blood and submit it through Jean dodd's hemopet... Even better.

Hang in.

#141 ·
Linda ~ how did the urine re check go? Was he just on a 1 week antibiotic?

Thanks for the advice Missy! How does it work to get it to Jean Dodds?? Do I send it?
What is the cost??? I wonder if he can do HIS tests AND send it to Hemopet?? What IS Hemopet? lol

#142 ·
wait till you get all the tests Tammy, if there's any hint of hypothyroidism you can have you vet draw blood and send it to Hemopet . But don't get ahead of yourself until you find out more. Hemopet explains here http://www.hemopet.org/

#145 ·
oh my gosh, poor Augie :( owie.... wow. What antibiotic was he on?? How did they get the urine sample? our poor babies... I wish they could TALK!

Tillie hasn't had her anal glands expressed in ages... probably a year and a 1/2... is it something we HAVE to do??? Is it a problem if it isn't done on a regular basis?

#146 ·
is it something we HAVE to do??? Is it a problem if it isn't done on a regular basis?
If your pup is scooting around on his butt or seems "sensitive" back there, anal glands are the first thing to check. Many dogs express their anal glands naturally when they poop, but sometimes they need a little help. Diet, age, and breed play into how often they need their glands expressed. High-fiber diet and younger pups need glands expressed less often, if at all. I think my Hav's glands have been expressed 1x/yr in his 3 years. No scooting prompted the first time, but my vet noted that the glands seemed really hard and rec'd that they should to be expressed at his next grooming. So, I just keep tabs before any professional grooming and if the glands hard I ask them to do it. So far, it hasn't been often.

#149 ·
Kodi has never needed to have his glands expressed. While it is inportant to do if the dog is having problems, you do NOT want to do it if there is no good reason. The more often they are expressed without cause, the more often they will need it.

Also, this something I, personally, would never have done by agroomer. If it needs to be done, I'd want it done by the vet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.