Havanese Forum banner

Freckles?

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  spiffylike 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just noticed this afternoon that Freddie has *tiny* dark spots on his belly around his genital area (above and around). Now, I thought this might be dirt, but it isn't. It almost looks like some kind of fungus or mould, if I were to guess without knowing any better, but that doesn't make much sense because I keep him dry.

I've just searched the forums for "freckles" and have come up with threads on the Belton gene, but I'm not sure that's what's going on. He certainly doesn't have any dark spots on him, but he does have dark lines through some of his nails.

I can't post any pictures because the spots are just so little. I'll be asking the vet next week when I take him for his second shots, but was wondering if anyone might give me any insight before then.

Apologies for being redundant, if that's the case.

Thanks,

Kat and Freddie

#2 ·
Tyler has those and he's 15 years old. I can't check how many right now as he is all curled up in a ball, fast asleep. One day I thought one of them was a tick and when I tried to remove it, discovered that it was part of his anatomy. I believe they have always been there and are not an issue.

#6 ·
Thanks Mary and Tammy.
I'm still going to have the vet check them out when we go, but whatever it is (be it birth mark or infection), I'm sure it's either harmless or treatable :)
I guess I am just paranoid as any new pet owner would be. I was soooo scared the first week that he would get sick. Now I know he's a little monster that is super resilient!

#8 ·
I took my Hav to the vet when he started to show signs of freakles/spots at about 12 weeks. They were in the same spot as your pup. I had exactly the same experience-I thought it was dirt, then when it didn't wash off, a bruise or a skin infection. It was just his Belton gene starting to show. Now he has spots all over his body, but they are mostly visible when he's wet. He is also a mostly white/very light colored dog.

It's always best to check with your vet, but based on my expereince, I'm 99% sure it's just Belton pigmentation.

#14 ·
When i brought Buffy in to be groomed for the first time, the groomer called her freckled, tan-colored blotches on her otherwise pink belly "Bichon skin." The blotches have gotten larger as she has gotten older, and there is less pink skin showing on her belly.

My boy is a black and white parti, and he has the Belton gene big time, but the only black spots he has on his belly and abdomen are nipples. That may be what Tyler has, Mary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.