Havanese Forum banner

Our afternoon out!

2K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Beau's mom 
#1 ·
We went for a chilly winter walk this afternoon!
The kids and husband went further than we did, because when I picked Tillie up for these pics I realized she was trembling? :( Not sure if it was fear or pain or just plain COLD, but we headed back to the car early...
I busted out the treats on the way back and wished I would have had the camera ready because she was looking up at me smiling... :D
So, here are a few pics of our quick, COLD walk!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
yes, I DO have the coat, but since the sun was shining I didn't THINK it was that cold out there... it was maybe 40 degrees plus a very cold wind... not sure why she was shivering, she COULD very well just have been COLD, I know I was!! We'll try it again in a couple of days and I'll put her jacket on!

#7 ·
Kodi is bothered more by wind than absolute cold. His undercoat is not particularly thick, and the wind will part his hair right down to the skin. He's definitely happier with a coat on if it's cold and windy!

#13 ·
My guess is just cold! Trooper has refused to go out a few times in the last few days. Of course we make him, but he isn't happy about it. I don't think he'd survive if we lived on say, Michigan or somewhere north. Lol!!!

#15 ·
But really, can it be too cold for them?
Today in NH it was single digits and we wouldn't let Lucky out. He has been pining by the window but yesterday's wind went through him. Is there a temperature(say 32?) below which these little dogs should not be exposed to the cold? And hi to and hooray for Tillie.

#18 ·
Kodi goes out even when it's cold, but wears a coat if it's much below 30 or if it's really windy, unless we're just running to the car. Even in the car, I put a coat on him if it's in the teens, especially if he'll be waiting in the car while I do errands. He also LOVES the seat warmer in the car!:biggrin1:

#17 ·
Give Tillie an extra hug from me. She looks as sweet as ever.

#22 ·
All I know is that when you read about Havs, it often talks about their having a "double coat." That's what is happening when they "blow" their coat. It's the undercoat coming in that causes matting when it meshes with the top coat of hair. That's the other reason I know that Beau doesn't have an undercoat -- he never "blew."!!!!! Also, there are a couple areas (like behind his right front leg) where his coat is very thin and all you can see are sparse long hairs. An undercoat would be comprised of shorter hairs. I used to have a Sheltie -- and she had a double coat! Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm counting on someone on the forum to straighten me out.:)

#23 ·
with the blowing coat, I though it was the PUPPY coat falling out as the adult coat grows in that causes the matting?? I am fairly certain Tillie doesn't have an undercoat, but she had a horrific blowing coat.... Her hair is not poufy and I can easily see her skin when I part her hair, it's the same hair all the way down to her skin... hmmmmmm, curiouser and curiouser...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.