Havanese Forum banner

at the end of my rope...

29K views 189 replies 52 participants last post by  Suzi 
#1 ·
... hey guys.
It's been a rough couple of months for us with Tillie and her health.
She has developed this horrible trembling that happens frequently, we can no longer take her in the car, she is a nervous WRECK in the car. and now she has started trembling at all other times of the day as well. I have taken her to the vet, he can't find anything wrong. She had the infection/crystals in her urine about 2 months ago... Honestly, she is stressing me out so much.
She isn't the same dog. I don't know what is going on.
I have been thinking and I thought maybe she just needs more one on one time, more attention as I have been busier than usual recently. So, over the past fews days I have been making a huge point of playing games, training, playing fetch, etc. I thought maybe it was helping as she has seemed happier today... Well, tonight, she pee'd on my sons bed. She hasn't done that since her infection. My husband is IRATE. insists it is behavioral and because she had an infection when we got her pet insurance, it won't cover any urinary issues. We can't afford another vet bill, he says business as 'usual' and that we have plans and that she can't interfere with our plans.
I fear if things aren't resolved soon, he may make me rehome her.
I can't believe I am even confessing all of this. Tillie has always been my light, my companion, our joy... and something is wrong. I have been saying it for weeks and weeks and no one will listen to me. The kids insist they hate her .... she has become fearful and aggressive. I KNOW she has to be in pain, something is seriously wrong, yet nothing can be found ... I haven't wanted to come here and tell you all what has been happening because I feel like I have failed. I have failed Tillie, I have failed myself and my kids.
I just don't know what to do. There is something wrong, I know it. For her to pee on the bed again tonight. I know she has an infection or the crystals are back ... she is trying to TELL me something. I want to take her to the vet tomorrow, but we have out of town plans and because of her recent fear of the car we can't take her with us, so a friend is going to come over mid day to let her out and play with her for a bit, but how can I leave her knowing there is something wrong and that she needs to go to the vet.. and then we run into Christmas.... my husband insists that we have plans and that Tillie isn't going to change those plans and that we can't afford another vet bill.
I don't know why I am telling you all this, I guess I just needed to vent to those that I know understand my heartbreak and frustration. I just don't know what to do and I miss my little girl so much... I haven't seen her smile in months....

See less See more
#60 ·
Tammy - TOTALLY agree with you about having off for the few weeks - I'm a teacher and purposely selected last Monday for the surgery so I could take a few personal days and then have this vacation.

And I agree with the post above with the meds, you can take them both at once.

Take care!

#64 ·
thanks! ya, I do believe he is the best vet in town. He looks at the whole picture, the whole animal and is the one who started me home cooking, so he fully supports my desicion regarding her diet. I know some vets probably wouldn't...
Although his name is Dr. Weiner. :pound: seriously, I just can't say his name without giggling like a 6th grade boy. ha ha :pound:

#68 ·
Dear Tammy and Tillie! We are both with you praying that all goes well! Sh is definitely stressed out and maybe sad because she can feel that a part of family is rejecting her. They are all so sensible and can feel when something is wrong in their home. So try to separate her from all tension and atmosfere theta is not so good for her. She will heal better. Strengthening her immunity system is another thing to think about. With Roki I learned that working on his immunity gave excellent results. He had that nasty skin infection, but now everything is stable and he came out of the dark tunnel. I really know what it means when your baby is sick and not himself. It takes a lot of patience and hard work to bring them back, but it is worth. I have another tought about beef you are feeding her. It is kind of strong protein and usually with all UTI vets here recomend lighter proteins or special vet diets for urinary problems. Maybe you should e-mail Sabine and check what she has to say about the whole case.
I really pray for you and your family because I had quite simmilar experience in my life.

#69 ·
I'm so glad you got some more medication and am crossing my fingers that she is going to be better soon. The new year is going to be better I'm just sure! Thanks for reaching out Tammie it made me feel good and proved to me even more who great this forum is.

#70 ·
I've been thinking about u for the last couple of days. Even though we've never met outside this forum, you are on my mind. I'm so glad to hear that you have good meds for Tillie and will proceed with full blood panel. UTIs/crystals/stones are painful and sometimes vexing but I really believe it can be cured and prevented with diet. Please let us know as Tillie feels better and returns to her happy self. Hope you are having a peaceful Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#73 ·
thanks everyone!
Tillie had a fantastic day here at home with extended family coming to US for once! yay!!
She was in HEAVEN surrounded by TONS of wrapping paper, we all wadded up and threw on the floor specially for her. THAT was her Christmas present! lol She loved every second! My mom who was visiting last week as well actually noticed a difference already in her behavior and that she was acting puppy-like again... :D
I am hopeful that she is feeling better. I do know I will need to slowly start getting her out and re-socializing her since she has been pretty coop'd up the past few months because everything seemed to stress her out... little bits at a time... thank you all for the prayers. :D

#75 ·
You and Tillie have been on my mind, and I'm SO glad to hear she is feeling better! Don't let up on following through... if this was all caused by an ongoing UTI (or something else requiring antibiotics,) for so long it will probably take awhile to totally clear up so that it doesn't recur/build before being knocked all the way out.

:whoo:

#80 ·
Well, last night at bedtime, my husband was 'putting Tillie to bed' down at her crate talking to her and petting her when he discovered HER bed was wet! I am so very confused... since I am home all day, every day right now she only goes in her crate at night. She has NEVER wet her crate before. EVER. ?? What the heck is going on???

We aren't sure what is causing the trembling, she still does it, mainly in the mornings... I am just so lost and confused, fearing I may never get my sweet Tillie back. :(
As for the walking, it has been raining so much we haven't gone for a walk since Christmas Eve ...
so frustrated and dumbfounded.

#81 ·
In an earlier post someone talked about the shaking. That could be your ticket to all the blood work and stuff and be covered under your insurance. I bet the accident was related to the UTI. It is odd she picked her bed:( I guess its better than your bed. I'm hoping the medications will work. Did you consider not so much Hamburger? or did you say your vet thought its not food related?

#83 ·
Tammy, is the door to her crate closed at night? Augie is being treated for a UTI right now as well. Not being able to hold it all night was my first indication that there was a problem. This is his second UTI, and finding wet spots on the throw rug in front of the front door, I knew something was wrong as he has always been so reliable after about a year or so of age. But with the UTI, he just can't hold it all night. I have been sleeping on the couch - I am a light sleeper - and he will come to me and paw at me when he has to go out. It has been about 3 a.m. This morning it was 4:30, so I am hoping he will slowly recover here and can last all night again. My guys don't have access to bedrooms. Finn is still a work in progress; I had to start taking him out frequently a couple months back, and treat and praise him, and (knock on wood) he is doing pretty well again. Augie is not locked in his crate at night. His crate is located in the living room, and there is also another little bed in the living room, or he sleep for awhile in a chair. Seldom does he sleep in the same spot all night. Thank goodness he didn't choose a corner on carpeting for his accidents. For whatever reason, he chose the throw rug, on tile, in front of the front door. Maybe because it is similar in shape and color to the UgoDog that he was trained on.

#84 ·
It can take awhile for a UTI to clear up I would wait a little longer for the medication to work. It can also take time to find the best antibiotic. I can also say from personal experience that a UTI can be very painful - that could account for the shaking. Just some ideas to consider.

#85 ·
I agree with Joyce. I had a UTI once or twice. It felt like my insides were turning inside out when I had to go. I was surprised that Augie didn't seem to show pain.

I forgot to mention that Augie had to go way more often than the 3 a.m. time I mentioned taking him out for. The boys' usual times at night are 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. I was taking Augie at 10 p.m., 12 a.m., 3 a.m. and 6 a.m., and during the day he was looking at me to go out every 1.5 to 2 hours. We went to the vet exactly a week ago, and it is just in the last couple of days that I see the times lengthening between going out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.