Havanese Forum banner

Save your little one...whistle!

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  davetgabby 
#1 ·
Davetgabby...believe that is his name...posted on the forum....a link to training your dog to a whistle recall. I have sent him a message asking him to post it again.

Wanted to do this because I did what they suggested and am absolutely astounded. Within 2/3 days, at approx. 10 minutes a day, Izzy stops whatever or wherever she is and comes bounding to me. I have hidden in the house went out side when she was in (she has a doggie door) and this dog leaps up and runs to me. It took a lot of nerve, but my DH went into the woods and dropped her lead, I was approx. 1/2 a block away...and she came flying.

I could'nt believe how fast this happened...followed the instructions religiously...but it didn't take that long. Needless to say a whistle hangs by our door and is always around our neck or in our pocket when we take her out.

Really, try it, it works and may save your precious fur pup someday.

A big thank you to Dave.

Have a good day ..... Estelle and Izzy

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Davetgabby...believe that is his name...posted on the forum....a link to training your dog to a whistle recall. I have sent him a message asking him to post it again.

Wanted to do this because I did what they suggested and am absolutely astounded. Within 2/3 days, at approx. 10 minutes a day, Izzy stops whatever or wherever she is and comes bounding to me. I have hidden in the house went out side when she was in (she has a doggie door) and this dog leaps up and runs to me. It took a lot of nerve, but my DH went into the woods and dropped her lead, I was approx. 1/2 a block away...and she came flying.

I could'nt believe how fast this happened...followed the instructions religiously...but it didn't take that long. Needless to say a whistle hangs by our door and is always around our neck or in our pocket when we take her out.

Really, try it, it works and may save your precious fur pup someday.

A big thank you to Dave.

Have a good day ..... Estelle and Izzy
Fantastic, and GOOD WORK!!! Just remember that a brilliant recall is always a work in progress. You need to practice it often, with frequent rewards when it ISN'T necessary so that it will be there when you need it in a crunch!

Kodi and I are now working on another important safety cue, and that's the "Drop on Recall". Obviously, you want your dog to come when you call. But what if they have crossed a street, and a car comes along right after you have called them? You want to be able to drop your dog into a down, at a distance, and have them remain there until you call them the rest of the way. It is challenging, but we are getting more distance and a more immediate drop all the time!

#9 ·
That's called a litter box!:biggrin1: Seriously, our property (we have over 5 acres) is not fenced and borders woodlands with coyotes. It is not safe for Kodi to be outside unsupervised. During daylight hours he goes out off leash, but always closely supervised, but as soon as it is dark, he ONLY goes out on leash. He gets down to business much faster when he's on leash. He would much rather go outside to potty, but if the weather is really bad, we tell him "Use your box!" He will mutter and huff around a bit, but in the end, he'll give up and use the box.

We aren't as far north as you are, but even here, there are times when the snow is too deep for him to get through until DH has cleared paths for him. At these times, or when it is pouring rain, the litter box is a life saver!!!

#10 ·
I can see that it would be a life saver for me too. In the beginning I was reluctant because I thought she would not learn to go out. But as time goes on I think I will start the new puppy with one and maybe izzy would follow suit.

Our yard is fenced but she is afraid in the dark (even though we put up spot lights) and I have to stand out there with her!!! It gets old when it is raining or cold. She stll takes her sweet time in getting down to business.

#11 ·
Kodi came to me litter box trained, and he peed and pooped outside the first day home. he never had any reluctance to go outside, and of course I always praised him for it. Over time, he used the litter box less and less. Now it is just an emergency back-up. That seems to be the experience with most people who have dogs with indoor and outdoor potty options.

#17 ·
We have always mouth whistled for all our dogs,and never had a problem with recall, they have always all come flying when we whistle,although we had one Tibetan Terrier,who would come running,and stay close but was not so keen to be put back on the lead, he would jump away,and thought it was a great game,almost as if he was laughing at us!

#23 ·
I am going to start a new thread on training treats...I am going to have to put a collar on mine for the training too..wonder if I should leave the collar on, or put it on for training. I.E., will the dog associate putting the collar on with the training? The only time mine wear the collar now is when they go for a walk. Don't know if there is a soft collar, small that won't mat the coat so much? I want the dog to come to me without the collar too...too many questions, sorry!!

#24 ·
If you don't usually have a collar on your dog, you have to find something different from a "collar grab". The point is for your dog to KNOW you are restraining them, then letting them go. With Kodi, since he doesn't ever wear a collar on the property, I grab the hair at the back of his neck, just enough so that he knows I'm holding him, before patting him and releasing him again.

The other problem with coated dogs is that even if you DO have a collar on them, it's not always easy to grab. The coat, itself, is often easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.