Havanese Forum banner

chocolate breeder

8K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  risabar 
#1 ·
My family fell in love with the chocolate Havanese and we are looking for a reputable breeder. We would greatly appreciate any assistance, advice etc.
thanks!

#4 ·
We live in NJ. Is it safe to ship a puppy that far? Also, were you happy working with that breeder?? Anything we should know or specifically ask? Thanks!!
please be careful of shipping puppies, it CAN traumatize them. Most ethical breeders will fly with thier pups to deliver them to you, but will not 'ship' them.
Have you looked through the "What to look for in a Breeder" thread that it at the top of our forum? VERY helpful and can help guide you in your search! :)

#6 · (Edited)
Please ask questions, we will be more than happy to guide you. I would rather you pick up the puppy yourself. My sister flew to Chicago to pick up her Havanese. I agree flying the pup is traumatic. I was not as informed and am guilty of it. When I decide to get another down the road, I will jump on a plane and pick up my pup if need be.

I love the chocolates. I don't know of a breeder, but be careful you don't get too hung up on color. I really feel temperament and a good match is more important. Color is a bonus:)!

#10 ·
At the dog show last weekend I was talking to a woman showing her havanese. She had a beautiful girl with a caramel colored long flowing coat. She told me she was chocolate brown as a puppy. The tips of her ears were the only chocolate that remains!

#12 ·
You can try Twins Havanese. I don't have any experience with them so I can't vouch for them as a good breeder, but I did a quick search and their website passes my "sniff test". You would have to dig deeper to do a thorough evaluation but unfortunately ethical and responsible chocolate Hav breeders seem to be in the minority. If your heart is set on a color, look at the parents as many chocolates don't hold their color. She has some well known Havs such as Noble gold but that doesn't necessarily mean she's a good breeder.

#13 ·
Wow, Tammy, Tillie sure had an amazing color transformation. Being fairly new to the forum, I had never seen her puppy pictures. She's a very pretty and sweet looking girl and you seem to be an amazing Mom to her.

#14 ·
A friend of mine her in Oregon flew her Havanese who had the chocolate gene to I think Florida and stayed in a hotel while her girl was breeding she ended up with a beautiful chocolate boy! He has been doing really good in the show ring. Any way she lives here in the pacific northwest so if anyone wants more information she has over 15 years breeding our precious Havanese.

#18 ·
You may want to try Hawkhaven Havanese in New Jersey. I got Beau from Diane last year and while he isn't chocolate, he is great. He is very healthly and his personality was exactly what we expected. Visiting is encouraged as we saw Beau about 4 or 5 times before we brought him home. Diane really matched the dog to the personality we were looking for. Overall a great experience.

#20 ·
Same thing happened with Kodi. Based on whatI wanted, our breeder had picked a different puppy for us. But when we went to meet them, the other pup wa cute, but it was Kodi who kept climbing into my lap. I was smitten.:)

I am sure the other puppy was a great puppy too, but Kodi was the one for us. I can't imagine life without him!

#24 ·
So Tammy when you read me I am the wheepy overly emotional one. LOL I did get Nina at a time I needed her and I was going through some medicval issues. DH knew it. He is not into small dogs at all but he drove me over and was very supportive. Ofcourse now Nina has him around her little tail. Hehehehe As you noticed with the worm story he took off work hopped in the car and got her meds. Just now he asked me how she was doing. He also took her for her rabies as I was chicken and did not want Nina to look at me like the bad woman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.