Havanese Forum banner

Finally - I have a Hav!

7K views 61 replies 42 participants last post by  DePereNancy 
#1 ·
Very excited. Was able to 'rescue' a sweet little girl. I got her from a woman who trains former kennel dogs for 'real life'. She is 3 1/2 and was unable to breed so now she'll live happily in our home with our Sheltie, Benny. I've always had Shelties (26 years) but my daughter has developed a dog allergy and now that she is away at university, it is far more noticable when she comes home. Benny's companion of 11 years passed in June and I knew our Sheltie days were over so started looking for a compatable breed that was allergy friendly. Everything I read about the Havanese's temperment made me think it would be a good match for Benny and for our lifestyle. So far, so good but I'm a newbee and expect I'll be looking for lots of help.

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
so...I'm learning. Never teach a Hav the 'chase game'. Now she thinks everytime I come towards her I want to play that and runs...and fast. Yesterday she did many rounds of the yard with me in pursuit before my Sheltie finally had enough and herded her up. He really did - stopped her in her tracks - gave her a good barking to, and then when I called him, she toddled up behind him. Quite funny when I think of how all that must have looked but at the time I was just plain flustered :)

#39 ·
Congrats on your new family member! Bella is a sweet girl and I love Benny too!

<---I think you have great taste in dogs. :wink:

Your Benny looks like my Vinnie.

#41 ·
Congratulations!! I just love her dark ears and her name. I too had Shelties in my previous life. We had two while our children were growing up and they lived to be 16. We were dogless for almost 3 years and THEN I discoverd Havanese. Shelties are great, but Havanese are special and they don't shed! I don't miss all that Sheltie hair at all. Enjoy your girl. It looks like you are off to a fabulous start.

#43 ·
Had to post this picture...I've never had a dog that got cold before (shelties are double coated and well suited to miserable weather) Bella loves the snow though...rolls around and around until she looks like a 9 pound snowball. She's getting more and more comfortable every day which is really fun to watch.

Attachments

#46 ·
Welcome! Congrats on your new girl...she is adorable. My girl Misty loves sheltie's...she wants to go up to every Sheltie she sees. She was overly shy and so was a sheltie named Joey he had been rehomed 4 times, they both passed CGI together and now we do Rally class in the fall (he does flyball part of the year), this time we had a sheltie named Rocky sure enough she runs over and lays by him. I think it is a wonderful combo! Look forward to seeing more pictures of your pair!

#52 ·
Welcome and congratulations. Bella is adorable. My havs love the snow too. I feel kind of guilty, because I am so happy it hasn't snowed here, yet. But I love to see them playing in it. That running around like a mad dog is RLH or run like he!!.

#53 ·
Bella is adorable! They are so much fun, these little ones. Enjoy every minute.

#54 ·
Congratulations on your new addition!! She is adorable and Bella suits her perfectly. I made the mistake, or I should say my children taught Kipper, to run when you bend to pick him up. It's like a big game to him. To get him to stop I give attention to my other dog and he comes running to put himself between us. I was NEVER a dog person (gasp I know) I loved cats, my daughter wanted a puppy/dog that she could play with and sleep with, she is allergic and couldn't play with the other dog. I did a lot of research and found a breeder that I was going to to go with....one day I was on petfinder and came across 2 puppies for adoption, about 2 hours from me, Hav's are very rare here and hard to find. My daughter and I took a road trip and ended up bringing him home. He has been the sunshine in my life and is what I look forward to coming home to (my children are in the your not cool phase but he adores me - lol). I can always count on him to make me smile and cheer me up. I hope your family and Bella (and Bennie) have many years of fun and love to come. Welcome to the forum and enjoy all the posts. This is a great place to learn anything you could ever want to learn about these little teddy bears.

#55 ·
Just checking in to say all is going well. We still have lots of work to do but my Sheltie Benny keeps a close eye on Bella and she follows his lead, and they play together easlily. Starting basic obedience tomorrow evening. I hope that will help with her confidence. She still spooks easily but has gotten to the point that she carries her tail over her back most of the time so I can literally see real progress. One month ago when I got her she couldn't go up or down stairs - now she bounces along easily.

#58 ·
We had to postpone obedience training while she went through a heat cycle...her last, spaying is booked in two weeks. Despite that Bella's training of US is going quite well. She now has us scheduled to let her out at precisely the right time to avoid most accidents, where to leave some newspaper just in case, when to lift her up to the bed, when to play, and most of all when to provide treats (that walking around on hind legs thing is irresistable). She's still a little hesitant around people but that is coming slowly but surely and the dog who didn't know anything about stairs now zips up and down them like a pro. She and our Sheltie play like crazy and she lets him be the boss, so he's good with that. My husband gets seperation anxiety after a day at work and so she will sit on his lap and reassure him for hours. We are definately hooked on havanese!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.