Havanese Forum banner

New Havanese owner needs reassurance

83K views 815 replies 95 participants last post by  Lalla 
#1 ·
Hi, I have been reading this site for awhile waiting to find my Havanese. Well, I got her today.

She is 2 1/2 years old and came from a breeder who said she made it quite clear she did not want to be a mom. Apparently she teased the males and then at the critical moment, would roll onto her back and wave her feet in the air, thus making it all impossible for the male dog.

Anyway, she is here next to me. My problem is she will stay exactly where I put her. She won't walk around outside or inside. She won't eat or drink. She did pee once about 3 hours ago when I brought her home.

Supposedly she is not housebroken and she was supposed to be socialized by owner's children. I was told she is shy and takes awhile to warm up to strangers. Quite un - Hav - like, right? She does not seem to know her name.

She is adorable, white with black ears and some black spots on her back.

I think she was traumatized by the 2 1/2 hour car ride here. She vomited in the car in her crate on the way.

Do I just keep talking to her and keep watching her to see if she needs to go outside? Please talk to me.

See less See more
#710 ·
Oh Kay, I can't tell you how many times you are thought of on this forum...You can see we have asked Dave several times to contact you and be sure you and Maggie are okay!!! We so enjoy hearing from you..I have to say how beautiful she looks now...and she is improving. Just keep working with her and expect the best..they can sure tell if we expect something of them..and they can tell when they don't have to worry...lol... Keep us posted, please...

#711 ·
Thanks for the picture! I can see why you love her so much....her face is just beautiful and expressive! I think she looks great, so much better than too skinny & her haircut is super cute. Reading through the thread I fell in love with her a little more with each post, she was such a lucky girl to have found you and I can tell you feel the same about her :)

#712 ·
Kay, it is SO nice to hear an update on how maggie is doing. What I notice most as a difference between Maggie's first picture and the last is how much more confident and comfortable she looks now! Maggie will probably always be Maggie. She has a lot of "baggage" to get past from her past life. But you have given her the gifts of time and patience which have allowed her to really blossom!

Please come back to the forum and give us updates now and then. We miss you AND Maggie!:)

#713 ·
Kay, it is SO nice to hear an update on how maggie is doing. What I notice most as a difference between Maggie's first picture and the last is how much more confident and comfortable she looks now! Maggie will probably always be Maggie. She has a lot of "baggage" to get past from her past life. But you have given her the gifts of time and patience which have allowed her to really blossom!

Please come back to the forum and give us updates now and then. We miss you AND Maggie!:)

#714 ·
So happy to see that you and Maggie are continuing to progress! I agree with Karen, the difference in Maggie's demeanor is evident in her newest picture. She looks so much more confident! Congratulations on how far she's come - it wouldn't have happened without your total love and support of her!

#716 ·
welcome back Kay. Don't mind my previous post , . I read Gerchie's first post and din't look to see that there were two more pages LOL> Just finished a four hour drive from KIngston and not too with it. So nice to hear from you again. Maggie is definitely one of my favs here. And she definitely has come a long way. We want you to come on and post once in awhie. I just emailed you privately not realizing you posted here. Just let me know if it's your same email address. Don't leave us for so long or I will be after you. So glad you two are doing good. Hugs and woofs Dave and Molly.

#718 ·
Kay, it is so good to get an update on you and Maggie! I know the changes can be so small that it is sometimes hard to see when you're with her everyday. It was nice to have a friend who sees her only occasionally to notice the difference for you!

I don't know if you remember me telling you about our Abby. Her progress has been so slow, too. But, we got our puppy, McGee, nearly a year and a half ago and she has really blossomed since! She still hides under the dining table when I get up like she's afraid I'm going to try to comb her or something horrible like that! But, the other day she was standing next to me and I bent down to pick her up and she let me - that was such a thrill so things like that can just happen out of the blue and I am like you and just enjoy her the way she is. I'm sure that Maggie still has some surprises in store for you, too!

#719 ·
Kay, it is so good to get an update on you and Maggie! I know the changes can be so small that it is sometimes hard to see when you're with her everyday. It was nice to have a friend who sees her only occasionally to notice the difference for you!

I don't know if you remember me telling you about our Abby. Her progress has been so slow, too. But, we got our puppy, McGee, nearly a year and a half ago and she has really blossomed since! She still hides under the dining table when I get up like she's afraid I'm going to try to comb her or something horrible like that! But, the other day she was standing next to me and I bent down to pick her up and she let me - that was such a thrill so things like that can just happen out of the blue and I am like you and just enjoy her the way she is. BTW, Abby is five now! I'm sure that Maggie still has some surprises in store for you, too!

#720 ·
Linda, nothing like an old popular thread to bring out the old cronies again . :pound:

#722 ·
only as far as your membership on the forum. :)

#723 ·
Feeling much gratitude this day

Here's a little update on Maggie and me. I just got sprung from a stay in hospital. During this time, Maggie was boarded at her vet's. Day 8 the vet said she had stopped eating and was concerned Maggie was feeling abandoned.

I asked my friend to spring her as my friend had wanted to take her to her home. My friend took her home. Maggie was so traumatized she did not want to go in her crate at night. So my friend put her on her chest as she lay on the couch for several hours. Maggie did not move but just looked around.

Next day my friend brought her to the hospital. Apparently all these people are dog lovers. Maggie was placed on my bed and she licked my hand and then my chin. That had never happened before. I cried.

Maggie refused to eat her kibble the night before and that morning. So friend's boyfriend fed her roast white meat turkey. Well, at the hospital she was panting as she does not like car travel. But soon my food tray arrived and her little nose went to town.

Keep in mind that Maggie has never eaten from my hand. In fact, she will never eat if I or anyone else is in the same room. Nor will she drink water.

I cut up a plain, unseasoned chicken breast in small bites and placed them one at a time on a napkin by her face. She ate half the small breast. Then we dumped the grapes and put water in the little dish. She drank it all just a foot from me.

My friend left us alone for a half hour. Maggie stopped panting and lay down and I watched her breathing return to normal.

The next day my friend brought her back to visit. Again she was panting from the car ride. After petting her a little we got a styrofoam cup filled with water. I held it and Maggie drank it all. I cried some more.

This neurotic little dog is bonded to me and I had questioned that all along.

I got sprung from hospital next day late. My friends brought Maggie home to me, putting her down on the kitchen floor. I said, let's go out, Maggie. She bounded for the door and then the most amazing thing. She did her happy dance and twirls that she only does in the morning and she WAGGED HER TAIL! Since having her in August 2009 she has never wagged her tail for me, only for other dogs. Wow, just wow.

Well, you all wanted updates. Couldn't be more pleased to oblige.

Hope all had a fine day.

#730 ·
Here's a little update on Maggie and me. I just got sprung from a stay in hospital. During this time, Maggie was boarded at her vet's. Day 8 the vet said she had stopped eating and was concerned Maggie was feeling abandoned.

I asked my friend to spring her as my friend had wanted to take her to her home. My friend took her home. Maggie was so traumatized she did not want to go in her crate at night. So my friend put her on her chest as she lay on the couch for several hours. Maggie did not move but just looked around.

Next day my friend brought her to the hospital. Apparently all these people are dog lovers. Maggie was placed on my bed and she licked my hand and then my chin. That had never happened before. I cried.

Maggie refused to eat her kibble the night before and that morning. So friend's boyfriend fed her roast white meat turkey. Well, at the hospital she was panting as she does not like car travel. But soon my food tray arrived and her little nose went to town.

Keep in mind that Maggie has never eaten from my hand. In fact, she will never eat if I or anyone else is in the same room. Nor will she drink water.

I cut up a plain, unseasoned chicken breast in small bites and placed them one at a time on a napkin by her face. She ate half the small breast. Then we dumped the grapes and put water in the little dish. She drank it all just a foot from me.

My friend left us alone for a half hour. Maggie stopped panting and lay down and I watched her breathing return to normal.

The next day my friend brought her back to visit. Again she was panting from the car ride. After petting her a little we got a styrofoam cup filled with water. I held it and Maggie drank it all. I cried some more.

This neurotic little dog is bonded to me and I had questioned that all along.

I got sprung from hospital next day late. My friends brought Maggie home to me, putting her down on the kitchen floor. I said, let's go out, Maggie. She bounded for the door and then the most amazing thing. She did her happy dance and twirls that she only does in the morning and she WAGGED HER TAIL! Since having her in August 2009 she has never wagged her tail for me, only for other dogs. Wow, just wow.

Well, you all wanted updates. Couldn't be more pleased to oblige.

Hope all had a fine day.
:party: Well, you never thought that would happen and then:flypig: Pigs did fly, didn't they? :welcome: Welcome back Kay and Maggie, I think about you so often:clap2:We all knew your fondest wish was for Maggie to bond with you:cheer2:And now that has happened...you made me cry reading this...but tears of happiness for you both! Maggie truly should be celebrating this day as her birthday for years to come..when she finally came out of her shell....I am so happy for you both!

#724 ·
Wow! All your hard work and dedication is paying off! I am so happy you shared this with us.
I hope you are ok....I think my guys can sense when something is wrong. I bet Maggie sensed you were hurt and she bonded even more with you!
I do hope she continues to make progress.
I would love to see some updated pictures of her:)
Happy Thanksgiving!

#725 ·
My Lily was traumatized by her rehoming at 8 months. The poor little thing threw up for 3 days. I would put her food down and she would eat a little and then throw up. I took her to the vet and they said to give her pepcid. It took about two weeks and she finally got on a regular eating schedule. She would only go to my daughters but eventually warmed up to me. I kept a thin string on her around the house so I could catch her around the house. It was easier for both of us. Be patient it will take time.

#727 ·
So glad to see the update from you about Maggie. It's nice to go back and see the process it sometimes takes for a dog to come into "their confident life". It's not always easy-it takes time and so much love but it's always so heart warming when it happens. Hugs to you & Maggie and keep the updates coming.

#729 ·
As I was reading I felt so bad for both of you. I'm glad the vet called some may not have. You have a very good friend and I'm happy she was able to come to the hospital. I cant remember Maggies story but I will try to get filled in.

#733 · (Edited)
ahhh Kay, you've got me crying. Geeze that is awesome. She obviously is very attached to you, even though she doesn't show it in the same ways many dogs do. You have to keep in touch with us more often. Hope you are doing fine. No more sneaking off to the hospital without telling us. :nono: We want some more pics. too.

#734 ·
I wasn't on the forum when the original thread was posted in '09, so I read the entire "novel" today. It was very touching and I was quite moved by it. What a wonderful thing you did when you rescued Maggie and what a wonderful thing she did for you during your hospital stay. You have done amazing things with her and I know she's showing you her appreciation. Keep up the good work and stay healthy because Maggie needs you as you now know. She's a cutie!

#735 ·
wow Mary, good for you, that's one long thread. :) It has moved me and still does.

#736 ·
Thank you all

for kind words. I love this little dog and she loves being home with me. She does not do well with change. To get outside, we travel the length of the three season porch. If I have moved a chair and temporarily tossed an emply cardboard box out there, she always stops to investigate. Change is hard for her.

I am not ready to say a lot right now, but I could use some advice. In future it will be time to rehome Maggie. My dear friend wants her. She has one cat. Maggie likes cats. My dear niece wants her on her farm. Most of her pack lives indoors except for two huge white dogs who do live inside during most of winter and bad summer storms.

I have long thought Maggie would do well with a pack. But I have had only her for three and half years. I need to make a decision so nothing is left to chance. I want the very best for her and I don't want to leave her. But there it is. We're all mortal.

I would appreciate all your thoughts about my decision. With grateful thanks, Kay

#737 ·
Kay, I can feel the heaviness in your post. I'm so sorry that you are having to face this decision. My heart hurts for you both.

I'm so glad for you and Maggie that you have a choice of two options for her that sound like good ones, under the circumstances. Can you spend time with Maggie at both places for short times to see how she reacts in each place?

#738 ·
Your Maggie is a 'special' dog and you have been a wonderful Mom to her. It touches my heart so much because I have a 'special' daughter and a decision like this must be so difficult. I will be praying for you and for Maggie. Hugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.