Havanese Forum banner

Diarrhea in two dogs

7K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  The Laughing Magpie 
#1 ·
I am befuddled and looking to you, the experts on Havanese, for some answers or suggestions. For the last month, Lucy and Charlie have been having bouts of loose to liquid stools with a lot of mucus. They have been tested for parasites, nothing. The vet put them on ID dog food and within a day or two of eating that only, the poops return to normal. Twice I have tried weaning them off the ID. The first time I tried going back to BB Wilderness puppy food I mixed a half-hand full of kibbles to the ID but within two days the stools were back to soft and mucus. They’ve both been on antibiotics (at the same time straight ID) and things were normal. This last week I tried to reintroduce a different type of kibble (Innova) VERY slowly (few kibbles at a time). Again, slimy and soft poo.

Both dogs have the same father. Lucy’s 16 months old and Charlie just turned a year. I’ve been told between 12 months and 2 years dogs start developing food allergies. Is that true? Would it seem strange that they’d both develop the same allergy at the same time? Why is the ID tolerable when it’s so disgusting? What should I try? Why would it be both dogs if it’s not a virus or something else? Neither have shown any other signs—no temp, not lethargic; play the same as always, etc. I have heard their tummy’s gurgling at times.

Thank you for your suggestions!

See less See more
#30 ·
Diann, I almost PM ed you about this subject. My little Bolonka girl had a acute bout of pancreatitis and nearly died many months ago she became ill at the Vet's during boarding, she lost 1 pd in less then 24 hours, she had the greasy smelly stools and had progressed to vomiting it smelled bad too. My Vet is able to do a snap test to confirm but he also sent blood work out. In the morning I had to take her for anti nausea shots and fluid under the skin, in the evening he came to my house and gave another shot and fluids, this went on for four days. She was also on an antibiotic...if her pancreatitis had been milder, he would not have put her on an antibiotic. I got to keep her home because she was too stressed at the Vets...two of my Vets live about two blocks away...stress can slow healing in most illiness especially stomach problems, Khloe was fasted for about 12 hours, today they know its important to keep the intestines working during healing. The ID is mostly carbohydrates It comes out pretty much unchanged from when it went in...some dogs who are not stool eaters will try to eat their poop while on this, it goes away after they are on a regular diet, it smells like food to them.

My Vet was great I was only charged for the meds...not his time...or the food...or the appointments. My Vet thought someone on his staff fed her Bacon or country ham...he did manage to trace what caused it...a food rep. gave the kennel staff little packages of Freeze dried Beef Liver...the kennel staff thought these little pieces of food made a better treat for a such a small dog, they feed only these and they are made in America. These treats are normally great, the problem was they fed too much almost the equivalent of 3 ounces of beef liver in a 42 hour period, that is a boat load for a six pound dog...there are instructions on the package about feeding...they were able to trace it through inventory. My Vet took this really personally. The easy way to understand what happened: Not only was it too much, but it was far too rich in that amount, liver is an organ meat full of vitamins that become toxic at high levels.

I am a writer most of my writing for many years have been medical and of late Veterinary, I rewrite these for doctors and Vets, it is important that I vet all the information they give me to write for them..yeah they're experts...it is up to me to make sense of it all...if they could write and explain clearly with a nice flow, they could do it themselves. As many people have the internet compulsion when their dog or a loved one is sick...mine is I call all my sources... I want all the details...I want to understand how it works.

It has been in my mind you might be "chicken" or "scared" to change the diet...I was too.
So scary are stomach problems in our pets...we don't want to push them. The ID is not harmful in itself...I say it all the time these diets have a use, short term healing, end stage, and chronic disease. The ID will not give your dog enough protein as a long term diet, it's not for that, it's use is limited to healing.

I will share with you the pep talk I was given...my Vets all know me personally...they push...to be fair so do I. Sometimes when our dogs get sick with a tummy problem it is not they are allergic, it is not that simple, some dogs need less protein then others, some genetically have sensitive stomachs, sometimes it's the protein source, if thats the problem, some dogs do well on fish, but others do not, some diets are just to rich for some dogs, a dog who is very active can usually have a diet high in protein, this does not mean you give them a inferior diet...just different.

Charley will probably do really well getting back on a normal food, Lucy may take more time, start slowly...you can always go back for a day or two or give less reg. food. I started by mixing the two together in increasing amounts...I added kiddle after a week...it was scary...this is normal...it took two weeks. You will need to be careful for about 6 months with giving any high salt or rich human treat. Your two pups will be fine think of the ID as your safe net. Hopefully this will be a one time thing. I also must warn you I followed my poor girl around when she pooped so I could check it, poor thing could not do her busness in private. Today I no longer worry but I do watch all treats...we are in the six month window. Thanksgiving none of my dogs got their usually few scraps of white meat turkey...DH dropped a piece of ham on the floor and Khloe got it, she was fine but not extra treats that day. I did not write on the forum about Khloe as I was busy dealing with it.

You really need to try to get them on a normal diet, they have diets for sensitive tummys if this will help you feel confident...I know you will get through it. I also know it is scary...we love our pups so much. Hope this helps you understand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.